Question About Switching Providers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmclark, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Jmclark macrumors regular

Well, this summer, I'm planning to switch to AT&T for the new iPhone/3.0 software. I'm currently with Verizon, and in July, I will have 8 months left on my contract, adding $80 to my iPhone purchase.

The problem is that I'm on a Family Plan, so I will have to transfer that over, and my parents don't want iPhones. I know I can go to the AT&T store and get an iPhone with a new family plan there, but I have an Apple Store gift card for around $160, which I was planning to spend on the iPhone. How would I be able to get the iPhone at the Apple Store and still be able to get it on the same plan as my parents?

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Sure... guessing there going to att with you then yes. They can get what ever phone they choose and you can get your iphone and be apart of the same family talk plan.

3. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

That would be what I'd do, but the issue is that I have an Apple Store gift card for $160 I was planning to spend on the iPhone, so my I have to buy it at the Apple Store.

4. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for double posting, but does anyone know how I'd go about my situation?

5. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Just talk to them. I'm sure people have brought this up before. First, set up the Family Plan for your parents and yourself, and tell the person assisting you that you're purchasing your iPhone direct from Apple as you have one of their gift cards. I believe Apple will assist you in setting up the phone at the store, and that Apple can access your AT&T account from their computers.