Question about switching to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tubamajuba, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I'm planning on going to the Apple Store tomorrow to start a T-Mobile plan and preorder the 6 Plus. I currently have AT&T on an iPhone 5, and another spare iPhone 5. I need to stay on AT&T until I can actually open and activate the 6 Plus.

My plan is to trade in my current iPhone 5 to cover the cost of the $99 64 GB 6 Plus I want. If I were to do so and switch to T-Mobile, would the AT&T SIM card in my main phone still work with the same number in the spare phone on my other line?

I guess another way of asking the question is this- Am I right in thinking that my number won't switch over to T-Mobile until the 6 Plus is opened and activated?

I have never switched carriers before so this is all new to me- pardon me if I sound uninformed and stupid. Definitely guilty of the former, probably guilty of the latter.

2. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Gonna be going a bit later and would like an answer. Thanks in advance.

3. Lax1085 macrumors member

I believe you can switch your number from ATT to T-Mobile before obtaining the phone. I don't believe the phone is necessary to activate a new line. Just make sure you don't get charged an ETF by ATT.

If you upgraded on launch day for the iPhone 5,you are contract free on the 14th. Call 611 for more info.

you also need a new sim for your new carrier.

4. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the information. Problem is, I need to keep my number on AT&T until I have the 6 Plus in my hands. The people at the Apple Store seemed to think I could do that, but I couldn't trade in one of my iPhone 5's today because the phone recycling credit can only be applied to a phone that is physically in the store- so unless the manager gets word otherwise, I'll be waiting until the 19th, which is fine.

Do I need to cancel my AT&T service prior to activating the T-Mobile iPhone? Or will the number being transferred automatically do that? Stupid question, but I just want to make sure.

5. Lax1085 macrumors member

The transferring process will automatically cancel once completed.

6. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the input! I successfully switched yesterday, so all is well.

7. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Yeah, T-Mobile's the best. I sometimes giggle internally when other people in contracts get limited and frustrated by asinine carrier rules.

8. Tubamajuba thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, T-Mobile doesn't have great service in some areas, so it's not ideal for everyone. But if your area is well served by them, it's by far the best major carrier. I love how they're honest about fees- I know cell phone plans are going to be expensive, just tell me how much I'm going to pay!