Question about synced music

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Traverse, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I may be getting some wireless headphones soon so I thought I'd sync some music to my Apple Watch. Since I only use for a handful of apps and notifications it has plenty of space. Apple limits this to 2GB. Here's my question, does the music have to be what's on my iPhone in terms of quality? It appears that this may be the case from Apple's website.

I sync lossless to my iPhone. On my watch there is no need for anything above 256 iTunes quality and I could fit far more music on it. However, does this mean that I'd have to have compressed music on my iPhone too?

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, the music has to be on your phone. There's no way to sync music directly from another source to your watch.

What I'd do is make an "Apple watch playlist" and put the compressed files on that playlist. You can then sync just that playlist to the watch. Make another playlist of all uncompressed music, and listen to that on your phone.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Doesn't that require duplicates in iTunes? Isn't sync compression all or nothing?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Er... I thought you had two kinds of files, compressed and uncompressed. If you're getting iTunes t compress your files, then it's all or nothing.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Not in that way. My iTunes library is made up of lossless music when I can, and some iTunes purchases or downloads when I couldn't get losses.

I do not have two copies of some songs (lossless + lossy). I assumed the Apple Watch wouldn't be very flexible.