Question about syncing and multiple libraries

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CMD is me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I'm considering an AppleTV (also considering a MIni, but that's another post). I have 2 Macs: 1 wireless on the first floor and 1 wired on the second. The first floor wireless has all the photos (though I could change that if needed). The second floor wired has a 750gb drive were I'll store all my video and iTunes. If I get an AppleTV I plan to locate it in the basement and hardwire it rather than deal with HD streaming.

Question: how does syncing work and can I sync from 2 sources (photos from one and video from another)?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can sync with one iTunes library. You can stream from up to five libraries (plus the one that you are syncing from). I would suggest syncing the photos, so you can use them with the screensaver.

So you could either sync the photos from one computer and stream the video and music from the other computer (which would have to be on with iTunes running), or just move the photos to the 2nd floor computer and sync everything. Whatever does not fit on the AppleTV would still be available to stream.

Streaming is practically seamless. Not much of a difference, except for a few seconds when you first choose the library that you want to access. If you are going to connect via ethernet, you should not have any buffering issues.