question about syncing iPod Touch to laptop, then to PC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by copydeskcat, Jun 20, 2008.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Is anyone able to advise me on this...

I know you can't sync an iPod to any more than one iTunes library at a time (well, without various hacks etc.)

However, what I'm planning to do is take a laptop on holiday with me (with all of my songs/videos and an iTunes library on it - possibly a Macbook, but maybe a Windows laptop), purchase my iPod Touch, and sync with it, so that I can use the iPod during my vacation.

However, when I get back home, I want to be syncing the iPod Touch *only* with my main Windows PC - not the laptop. The PC will also have all of my music and videos etc.

So, first question: if I sync to the laptop first, am I able to come back home and sync only to the PC without too many issues?

I'm mainly thinking of things like the 2.0 software update. For example, say I get a Touch just shortly after 11 July, and the 2.0 update is not on the device, but Apple give me a voucher for the purchase the update via iTMS. Will moving the Touch from the laptop to the PC scrub the 2.0 update, giving me hassles in trying to get it re-installed, or will a new sync setup simply wipe my tunes/videos and let me set up a new library?

2. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As long as I'm reading it right there will be no probs at all with what you want to do copydeskcat. When you get back from hols and plug your touch into your PC, itunes will prompt you that the touch is linked to another itunes library. It'll give you the option to sync it to you PC itunes library, in which case it will just delete everything on the touch and restore it synced up to the PC.

As for the update, I'm not 100% sure but as long as you are using the same iTunes account on both computers I don't see how it will be a problem. If it is a quick email to iTunes Store help will rectify the problem. Perhaps someone with a similar experience with the Jan update can step in and let you know how they went.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It should work fine; it will just wipe all the data you had on it from syncing with the laptop and re-sync with everything on the PC. As for the 2.0 update, as long as you are using the same iTunes Store account, you should be fine.

5. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

6. slug420 macrumors regular

follow up question to this....if I do not use auto sync, but manually drag files into my ipod touch and delete them....will my ipt be wiped out when going from my mac to my PC?

I have the opposite situation as the OP....a mac pro at home that I use for all of my media, but I am about to travel with a PC laptop that I want to store all sorts of music and movies on so I can update what is on the IPT when I get bored. Is itunes going to wipe out my ipt when I connect it to the PC? If it is not going to wipe it out will it let me manually add files to it and delete files from it?

thanks!