question about system drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by allupons, Aug 31, 2010.

1. allupons macrumors member

I just received my new 6 core mac pro and I am loving it thus far. I do have one question though. I have 4 1 tb internal drives and I was wondering if it would be fine if I partitioned the os x system drive to place my bootcamp win7 install, or if I should separate the two on two separate drives. Obviously if partitioning a single drive should cause no issues that would be ideal as then I have 3 1 TB drives remaining for data and storage, but I dont want it to come at the cost of stability in either windows or os x. Let me know what everyone else is doing.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I partitioned one of my drives and allocated about 200GB to Windows. Works great and I have no issues.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can go either way.

Personally, I prefer separate disks, as you still have a working OS if there's a problem with one of them (software or disk issues). The reason is, it can allow you to gain web access, run diagnostics,... that can assist in getting your system sorted easier and quicker than working off of optical media, USB sticks,...

But if they're on the same disk and it fails, both are gone. :(

I've no idea if this is an issue for you though. But for some, the reduced time to get the system back up and running is important, such as server use and/or RAID (my situation).

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Just out of curiousity, what flavour of Windows 7 are you guys running? Home, Pro, etc?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ultimate.