Question about Tethered 4.2.1 JB on iP4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jwilson25, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

Hey, since I've never had/done a tether JB before, I had a question about it. For the iPhone 4 4.2.1 JB, since it's tethered, if you have to reboot without a computer nearby does it just hang at the Apple screen until you have a PC, or will it reboot to a non JB state that you can fix by rebooting again while tethered?

2. Gxray macrumors member

It's a semi-tethered jailbreak, so yes, if you're away from a computer and your device reboots then it will boot into a non-jailbroken state and none of your cydia apps will work. To put it back in a jailbroken state just reboot through redsn0w when you get close to a computer again.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know this isn't the question you asked, but I'd really wait for an untethered jailbreak to be released. I've used teathered jailbreaks before and IMO, it's worse than it sounds.

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i second this... you dont really know how many times you need to reboot until you have a tethered JB

5. Narco220 macrumors regular

This jailbreak is pointless the new features on 4.2.1 ain't worth the hassel of having to keep connecting the phone to your comp on bootup,

I'll be giving this one a miss for sure and wait for the full jailbreak.

6. zerostar macrumors regular

Same here, either stick with 4.1 (like I am) or pass on jailbreaking 4.2.1 until there is an untethered one.

7. The Highlander macrumors 6502

8. Chromus macrumors regular

Is there any idea on when an untethered JB will be released?

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No. There never has been and there never will be, for any JB ever.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here, there's no point for me upgrading to a tethered 4.2 where Im perfectly fine on 4.1 right now.

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Tethered is also keeping my i4 away from 4.2 for the moment, but I think it is getting jealous of my iPad, which got to jump on the 4.2.1 bandwagon and play nicely with the AppleTV 2,1 :D

Also, airprint was insanely easy to re-enable on 10.6.5 and works extremely well with my Brother color laser. That would be nice on the phone too...

12. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Same here

13. dhy8386, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Agree that a tethered jailbreak sounds like more hassle than its worth but i am curious. I jailbreak mainly for SBSsettings and things like mywi and bitesms. I could see how not having access to jailbroken apps if you have to boot untethered would suck but not such a big deal as one offs. However, what happens with something like MS and SBSettings. Would the phone still be functional if you had to boot untethered? I could easily see something like MS causing havoc...

Again just curious. Staying on 4.1 for now as I only use my iPad for the 4.2 features like Airprint and Airplay - which is awesome by the way. It may be limited now but it works so damn smoothly this is definitely the future.

UPDATE: The post on the dev team blog by MN answers all these questions. FYI..

1) “Tethered” does not mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won’t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).

2) If you’ve installed MobileSubstrate tweaks that hook into SpringBoard or other important programs, your boot will actually fail (you’ll get stuck at the Apple logo). You need to use redsn0w to “Just boot tethered right now”.

14. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Posted by musclenerd on twitter

"Update #2: *The notion of a “tethered” jailbreak is pretty new to many people, so here’s a quick rundown on what to expect:

If you’re on an iPhone3G, old-bootrom iPhone3GS, or non-MC ipt2g, life is easy. redsn0w installed an untethered jailbreak and so nothing below applies.
    “Tethered” does not*mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. *If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. *However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won’t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). *Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).
    If you’ve installed MobileSubstrate tweaks that hook into SpringBoard or other important programs, your boot will actually fail (you’ll get stuck at the Apple logo). *You need to use redsn0w to “Just boot tethered right now”.
    Remember, @comex and others are working on a way to untether the 4.2.1 jailbreak. *Meanwhile, the above 3 points hopefully will make it all seem less confusing :)
    "

15. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Oops someone just posted the same thing before I did. Sorry