question about tethered jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by studmule, Oct 13, 2011.

1. studmule macrumors regular

So I know there's only a tethered jailbreak for IOS 5. I know if I power off the phone I will have to boot it tethered. What about if I go in to sbsettings, and do a restart. Is that also a scenario where I will have to boot it tethered, or not? Is it a rebooting thing, or just a power off thing....

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

3. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

yes stil boot tethered, only respring wont cause that !!!!

4. DouglyStyles macrumors newbie

I understand that with a tethered JB you can respring without being connected to your computer and you have to be connected to reboot, or restart (if your phone dies or something). What happens if you are not connected to your CPU and you reboot? Doomsday? Nuclear weapons get set off? War games? :rolleyes:

Also, any suggestions to the best JB out right now for iOS 5?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

redsnow

6. Dirk the Daring macrumors newbie

I'm also curious about this. I've never done a tethered JB before, and I'm considering it.

If my phone reboots while away from the computer for whatever reason, will my phone be unusable until i get back to my computer, or will it boot into "normal" mode and work like an un-JBed phone?

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

It will be unusable. However, bear in mind that you don't need to go back to your iTunes-synced computer to restart the phone. You can connect to any computer and run the small redsn0w executable to reboot your phone.

I installed redsn0w at home and at work. I'm at one of those places 80% of the time, so I decided to go with the tethered JB and haven't had any problems. The only precaution I take is not to install Cydia apps unless I'm in front of one of those computers.

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

You win a free jb for being the 100th person to ask this question. :D

When's the last time your phone spontaneously rebooted? Probably never.

9. egotistical macrumors newbie

Ever had a Droid?

10. TC25 macrumors 68020

No and if this thread was about a tethered root it'd be relevant.

11. vtmikevt macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to reboot periodically (similar to restarting your computer) even if nothing breaks?

My guess is that it would empty all tied up memory (something SB Settings does too?)

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

respring will clear RAM, a respring can be done on a tethered jailbreak

the only time i ever do a hard reset or "reboot" is when its required to install a cydia app/tweak or if my device freezes