Question about tethering plan changes on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So I read about the upcoming changes to the tethering plan on AT&T, which will now include 4GB of data. However, I am still unclear about a few particulars, such as:

- Do we know for sure that the AT&T iPhone will be able to take advantage of this?

- Do we even know for sure yet that AT&T will be enabling the personal hotspot feature when iOS 4.3 comes out? I know it will be in the OS, but isn't it still up to the carrier to decide whether to enable it? I guess we can safely assume they will since Verizon has it and it is a differentiating feature. On the other hand, wouldn't they have already announced that it would be coming in order to deter those who might switch to Verizon simply because of this feature. The fact that they have made no mention of it on the iPhone has me worried that AT&T will not be enabling the Personal Hotspot on iPhone...

- Assuming they DO enable it, do we know for sure how the 4GB of data is allotted? Is it still segregated between the phone and the tethered devices? Specifically, will the 4GB be in a "pool" to use however you wish, or will you still be limited to 2GB for the phone itself and the additional 2GB just for tethering?

- And finally, do we know if you can add/remove this feature on a month-to-month basis without additional fees or penalties? Do you have to enable it for the entire month, or could you enable it for a partial month and be pro-rated the data allotment?

Thanks if anyone can answer these questions!

2. OkieStockDog macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of other AT&T phones that allow internet tethering or a hotspot like feature? I would think if the answer is yes, then iPhone is going to get it with the update.

3. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I know that the Inspire 4G will have the personal hotspot cababilites, and I have read articles that AT&T has been testing the iPhone personal hotspot feature, so we should be seeing it soon. The Atrix may be getting it as well.

As far as turning it on and off at will, you can. A few months ago, I went to Dallas and stayed at a hotel where it was $14/day to get internet in your room. I had my iPhone 4, went to myWireless app and turned on tethering, and then going back to my normal data plan when I got home. When the bill came, I was charged the prorated amount for 3 days of using the tethering.