Question about texting/internet use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delpheno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Delpheno macrumors member

Hey guys,

Unlocked/jailbroke an iPhone the other day. My AT&T plan only has me down for text messaging, around $6 a month, nothing with data.

But I went to Safari and I got internet access over EDGE.

What does this mean? Am I going to be charged for internet use? I mean I only paid for text. Could this be a mistake on AT&T? Should I call and find out what's really going on? Free data FTW?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Even if you don't have the data plan, and you go into any data usage program, you'd get charged for it, its a LOT of money but if you only do it once in a while, it might be cheaper than getting a monthly plan. Texting has nothing to do with Data.

So bottom line: Expect to pay outta your pocket for this month's bill.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Without a data plan, you pay on a per-use basis for data.

If you want to block data, go to www.unlockit.co.nz on your phone and download the Fake APN - you won't be able to accidentally use data.

4. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Okay here's the thing.

I have two iPhones, one SIM card with just a voice plan, and another with voice and texting plan.

The one with the voice only, cannot access the internet no matter what. It says "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

The other with the texting plan, I don't get that message, I can use the Safari through EDGE.

So just because one SIM card has texting, I can access the internet wherever I go because I'm "subscribed to a cellular data service."?

I mean, can I go to BossPref and turn off this EDGE network so I can avoid the data usage?

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

no
    theres data thats a step below edge (gprs I believe)
    so turning off edge would just make it access data over that instead

6. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Then can someone explain why I can use data with the sim card with text. Why does the sim card with only the voice plan give me a subsciption error?

7. mickcris macrumors newbie

You may have data blocked on the one sim. Look at the features on your account and see if there are any differences between the two.

8. Delpheno thread starter macrumors member

Problem resolved.

Contract had pay per use on one SIM card. That's why. Sorry.