Question about the 1 TB hard drive replacement program

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macpokerstars, Nov 17, 2012.

1. macpokerstars macrumors member

Hi,

There is that Apple Care program that came out:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

I'd like to know if I can take out that hard drive myself from the iMac, instead of taking the whole 27 inch back to the Apple Store. I have all my private files on it so I don't want to get it out of home.

Also, I have already opened up my iMac to take out the Superdrive and put an SDD with an opttical drive bay. So I assume my warranty is already voided.

Note: my iMac is registered with Apple, so they have my serial number I think.

So, can I take out the hard drive myself and take it back to the Apple store?

Thanks in advance

2. mogens macrumors member

Remember you get a new guarantee on the new drive, but only if apple do the job. Also beware of dust and shadows on the display when you get it back, that happened for a friend of mine :(

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

The repair must be done by Apple or a 3rd party Authorized Server Provider in order to qualify for "free" service. Also, having the SSD in the optical drive bay (in this case) should not void your coverage on the iMac HDD Quality Program.

4. KoG506 macrumors member

My Imac 27" has the Seagate HDD, checked my Serial # and says that it doesn't qualify, not sure why but it should.... If i were to take my imac to a local authorized 3rd party, while the tech is in the imac, Can i tell the tech to add SSD by the ODB and my warranty will NOT be void?

5. holyrita macrumors member

@macpokerstars
    You have to bring in the entire computer to the Apple store and have them replace the drive, they won't exchange just the hard drives. Replacing the optical drive with an SSD should not affect your coverage under the quality program.

@KoG506
    There are many different kinds of Seagate hard drives that are in the iMacs, but only certain ones were affected. If the serial number of your machine is not eligible then you do not have an affected hard drive.

6. TX328F macrumors newbie

You should first back up your HD with Time Machine and then reformat it, before taking it to the Apple store. Not sure about the SDD. If you want to be 100% sure they won't object, you can revert to stock before going to the store.

7. KoG506 macrumors member

I hear a click noise every time I shut down my iMac. I don't believe that is a normal noise. And Grumbling noise when is booting up or when HDD is being access.

The Seagate HDD model # is ST31000528AS Revision: AP63

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Most likely they wont bother making a fuss about it at an apple store, however you may be get less of an issue if you goto a specialty store (Authorized Service Provider) and see if they can still perform the service with the modifications. Apple stores can be quite picky.