Question about the 13" MBP vs 13" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillFisher, Jan 31, 2013.

1. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I know this may sound ridiculous but I'm not so CPU chip savvy as some of you guys, so I was wondering, considering the PRO in MBP is "meant" to be pro, Is there any chance, in the future that Apple might be able to implement a Quad Core chip into the 13" MBP, to distinguish it that little bit more over the air?

I'm looking at upgrading my 2010 13" at some point over the next year or two, and would love to have the Quad Core performance of something like the current 15" MBP (With or without retina) but at a 13" size.

Again this may be stupid and I apologise, but I believe they stick to Dual Core for the battery-life? Is that right? So surely a less powerful Quad Core might come along someday?

Again, just a question, thanks!

2. robvas macrumors 68020

There may be a quad in the works with Haswell, the next round of CPU. But Apple would probably keep the 13" as portable and have as long of battery life as possible instead of quad-cpu.

3. Krauser macrumors regular

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was a quad core option for the 13" Retina next refresh. The battery savings and thermals of Haswell may allow for a quad core chip with the same battery life, but I wouldn't bank on it. Apple would probably want increased battery life than the same battery life with a quad core option (especially if the 15" model retains the quad core and ups battery life due to Haswell's architecture).