Question about the 20" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gunga Din, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I probably should have asked more questions before purchasing this monitor, but its still in the box :).

(1) Its an S-IPS panel right?

(2) I have a MBP with a Glossy screen so I kind of wanted the option of a Matte display because i'm getting into photography. Does it make much of a difference for an amateur?

(3) The 23" HD ones are not available anymore and the 30" to expensive. Besides the higher res you get with the 23 and 30 inch, will it make a huge difference watching movies on the 20". If I download a movie for iTunes store, will it be compatible to watch on my monitor without any negative effects?

(4) I plan on doing alot reading and typing on this monitor. Will this be kinder on my eyes than the new LED ones? Has anyone done extensive work on both types of monitor (glossy and matte). I might be doing some Movie script work and thought the Matte might be better for longer stays at the desk.

I went for the 20" because it was more in my price range. I had $100 gift card so i got it new for $500. I know thats alot but I like how it matches my older MBP and the design is very nice.

Thanks for any advice. I'd like to get some feedback before I open the box lol. I was in the mall and the damn Apple store just sucked me in, it was a compulsive purchase. Not like me :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I thought it was H-IPS...

And you made an okay decision. I believe that the 20" will be discontinued.

If they're not, you can leave it in the box and exchange for a mythical LED 20" if you return it by January 9th.

3. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The new ones don't have a firewire hub.

Oh wait, and unless they come out with an adapter and don't move the mac pro line to an all display port setup, you won't be able to use it anyway.

There is a mini display port to dvi adapter but not a dvi to mini display port adapter.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

1) Yep.

2) The reflections can get really annoying and distract you from the images themselves.

3) The 20" is great for watching movies :) I have one on my desk now and movies look stunning. The movies on iTunes run in 720P anyways, which is a resolution of 1280X720, while the Cinema Display has a max. resolution of 1680X1050, meaning it can display the videos in their native resolution. And again, they look great.

4) Well, I can't comment on LED displays, but I use the new glossy MacBook's with the 20" Cinema Display and I really like looking at the ACD over the MacBook. Colours just pop more, the viewing angle is FAR higher, and I don't have to keep moving the display to get rid of the reflections.

I'm guessing that if there is a new one in January, it'll be a 20" LED glossy display. And, if it's like the current display, it won't support the older MBP that you have.

Open it, try it, love it, and then if there really is a display in January that makes you go WOW, just pay the 10% restocking fee and get the better display.

6. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx, great pts. I'll be opening it today. I bought this monitor for a reason, to give me a different look than the MBP glossy i have.

To be honest, I had the LED and the ACD next to each other and both looked great. ACD is not as bright, but I dont have any of my monitors up that high so it should work out great.

Maybe I should film the unboxing ? Nah ! LOL.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He has a MacBook Pro...

And the Nehalem Mac Pro will only use Mini DisplayPort out, so no worries there.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes but which one. Glossy doesn't indicate Glass Glossy because there was an option for glossy on the first generation macbook pros too (as you know).

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sure, but I'm just talking about how you were talking about the Mac Pro when he has a MacBook Pro...

Or maybe the wording is off...