Question about the $350 ETF for AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Sep 12, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

If we used an Early Upgrade ($399/499) to get the iPhone 4, are we under the 350 ETF, or is that only for brand new accounts?

Please clear this up.

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

If you are under contract at all for any reason you have an ETF.
    So if you upgraded and got some amount of money knocked off the retail cost of the iPhone, you re-uped your two year contract and therefore have an ETF. Didn't you get a contract when you upgraded? Either emailed or handed to you in store?

This is how all cell phone companies work. It's the main reason some people choose to pay full price for their phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, with an early upgrade u signed a new 2 year contract with the $350 ETF.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, ETF would be $350 since you sign up for a new two year contract to get the discounted phone in question....

5. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I wish you'd start more threads about selling your iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You can thank Verizon for increasing the industry standard ETF of $175 in one huge leap to $350. Once they opened the door, the rest of the carriers walked through.

I can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone then all the AT&T bashers can complain about Verizon. I'm not advocating for AT&T, I use them both for very specific reasons.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

8. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Im not 100% sure about this. Back in July when I was having severe reception issues at home with my iphone 4, I talked with At&t and the original customer service rep transferred me over to someone else. Well, long story short, they really didn't have an answer to my problem and I mentioned that until they figured it out that I might be better to just go with a company cell phone through cellular south as opposed to my company reimbursing me a portion of my cell phone bill each month. Well, at this point the rep informed me that my ETF would be $140. I knew about the higher etf that had just recently started so I didn't question it at the time. Well, now that I ended up staying with At&t Im curious as to how its $140?? I got the iphone 4 on launch day of course extending my existing contract... Any ideas??

9. Middiebear macrumors member

The ETF is $325 and it lowers $10 every month.

The billing system is showing up incorrectly on some of lines with iPhone 4's registered underneath them.

The ETF for non-smartphones are $150 and lowers by $4 every month.

Bottom line... iPhone 4's carry the $325 ETF fee.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That explains it.
    Yes, all the smartphone ETF was raised right before the iphone 4 was out so if you got an i4 you do have the new higher ETF unless you bought it full price for the $599-$699 price.

11. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Nope, bought it at the new contract price. Thsi thread has peaked my curiousity now! Im going to call At&t tomorrow since Im not going to be switching carriers anytime soon and see what they say this time. Im sure your right AJ, like I said before I just didnt question it since I was contemplating changing carriers.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True, but we can also thank Verizon for pro-rated ETFs. They didn't use to go down as we paid off the subsidy.

It was years before all the other carriers followed their lead on that.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, double check incase they messed up somehow and put you on the old ETF but you're probably in the same boat like the rest of us with the $325.