Question about the 3G dock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Aug 9, 2008.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Those who have the dock: I notice that it is very low-profile...if the iPhone is pressured backward while in the dock (for example, while sliding to unlock or just using the touchscreen while in the dock), is the stress primarily on the male/female charger connection or does the dock itself prevent this 'play'? I ask because I've got an old iPod dock that fits the iPhone but it is only held on by the male/female charger connection, which leaves a lot of 'play' and makes me a bit nervous. So I was wondering whether the 3G dock would be any better in this respect.

2. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

3. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

The 3G dock holds the phone well in general, but perhaps "too well". When I charge my phone, I can press the home button and touch the screen with peace in mind, since I don't really have to press that hard. What I'm worried about this dock is it could scratch the bottom back of the phone (go check those 3G's in Apple stores and you'll know what I'm talking about). Also, there's absolutely no way you can charge your phone in a case on this dock. I'm considering the universal dock, but I'm too worried that the contact is basically the male/female connection only. I'm torn...