question about the 500gb hard drive....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgreeneyes, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

i have a question about the 500gb hard drive that was released for laptops.

who is the maker/seller and is it available yet? and is it compatible with macbook pro's?

thanks so much

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

At present there are two available

hitachi travelstar 500GB which is 12.5mm thick so will only fit in 17'' MBP's,these are readily available

Samsung spinpoint m6 500GB these fit in MB & MBP's but are only available at present in enclosures

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

where can i order the hitachi travelstar 500gb?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OWC. Incredible place for everything Mac.

On second thought, NowDirect. It's a great place and has prices that LOOK like a scam. Check my post history; I asked if they were scammers! TEG said that they weren't, I believed him, and I got my GGW-H20L from there for cheaper than any drive on the market YET.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Various places, although as mentioned this will not fit in a lot of laptops, and the samsung by the time it hits mainstream will likely be cheaper (as they will be selling much more since they are more compatible) and by samsungs record, faster and quieter.

I say wait for the Samsung.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Any thoughts on how long that might take? It's been so long since they first announced them and they're still nowhere! Plus I heard that when they do eventually come out, they'll be selling them in enclosures since they get too hot inside a laptop... ughhhh...

7. adjuster macrumors member

I bought the 500mb Samsung drive from OWC in a case. They told me that their agreement with Samsung did not permit them to sell them solely as a drive. No mention of any heat issues.

Where have you heard that?

I had it installed by Microcenter to preserve the warrantee in a new MBP15. So far, so good.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't void the warranty to be installed yourself.

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Actually, I could have sworn I read it somewhere here, I just tried searching the forums for the thread but couldn't find it... oh well. Probably just a rumor, as the agreement to sell it with an enclosure makes sense and I found some people on here who said they installed it fine, without heat issues. I hope that's the reason! :)

10. adjuster macrumors member

It might not void the warranty if you replaced the hard drive, but you haven't seen me try it.

11. ddoonie macrumors regular

12. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

This is the one that can fit in the 15 mbp's and macbooks? this the standard height one?

13. ddoonie macrumors regular

Yup and yup, 9.5mm

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. weckart macrumors 68040

Available in the UK and supplied with an external case in accordance with Samsung's requirements:

Samsung Spinpoint M6 500GB

Spotted this in another post in this forum. Poster said his offer of £135 was auto accepted, so there's your maximum price.