Question about the "about box"

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dean1012, Oct 4, 2008.

1. dean1012 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I know there is another thread about about boxes but I did not want to hijack that thread with this question.

I have an application that uses a tab bar on bottom. There are five tabs currently. the first four tabs are used for app data/interaction and each contain a UINavigationController with an embedded tableview (drill down for each tab).

The fifth tab is just a view (no UINavigationController) with information about the developers. It, of course, is labeled "About."

We had no problem with this until recently. There is another tab we would like to add. Since the Human Interface Design Guidelines suggest a maximum of five tabs on a tab bar, the sixth tab is a no-go in our current design.

I know that most apps with more than five tabs use a "More" tab that allows you to access additional menus or even customize the tab bar.

For just one additional tab, I see no reason to include "More" functionality and definitely no reason to add a customize ability to the tab bar.

My question is how should I give the option of displaying information about the developers and company so that it is unobtrusive, clean looking, and accessible from every view within the app?

I have come up with 2 possible solutions so far. I need opinions on these and am open to additional suggestions. Both solutions involve removing the about tab from the tab bar and displaying it in an alternate manner.

1) I could forego putting this inside the app itself and display the about information inside the Settings app. I have seen other apps do this (display about information without actually giving any settings). The downside to this is that some customers may not think to look there and others may be frustrated that the app is using the Settings app for things other than Settings.

2) I could add a little white "i" on the UINavigationController's navigation bar for each of the tabs and have the entire screen (tab bar and all) flip a la Weather to display a back view containing the about information. Pressing another button, such as "Done" or something similiar, would flip the view again to the position the user was previously at including any data entered by the user. I'm not sure if this could be done technically though and i'm not sure if this would be considered obtrusive or overly annoying.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

2. xnakx macrumors newbie