Question about the Apple Headphone (Not In-Ear)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Grayfox, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Grayfox macrumors member

Hey all.

I'm curious, i was out looking at headphones today when i noticed the frequency range written on the side of the boxes, so then i got thinking about my own pair of apple headphones (the one that comes with the ipod) so i looked on the internet and i couldn't find what it is. So can anyone out there let me know what it is? that'd be a cool help :)

Oh and would someone please tell me if the frequency range is an important thing to look at when buying headphones? and what is a good range to look for.

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I just looked at the Apple store online, and unfortunately there is no frequency range cited.

However, the general frequency range guidelines for any set of speakers are:
    First number: Lowest frequency the device is rated to generate. This will indicate how low the bass sounds.
    Second number: Highest frequency it is rated to generate. This will indicate how accurately the high/treble frequencies are reproduced.

An average-sounding pair of headphones should have a range of 25 kHz to 20,000 kHz. A good pair should have an even lower bass response: 20 kHz or lower.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

The Apple Headphones are actually not that great...

If I remember correctly, and I don't feel like taking one of my many pairs and cutting it up and throwing to a logic analyzer or oscilloscope, is that a 22Hz to 20kHz.

The other issue is the metal covering. So this actually dampens the upper frequencies, to about 19kHz in worst case.

4. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

So headphones with a metal opening like the apple ones lessens the quality? So a good pair would be plastic?

5. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

6. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know a site where it has a list of headphones and their specifications and maybe reviews?

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Try Head-Fi.org .

8. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I can't imagine that the apple earbuds go anywhere below 60-80Hz or so. Also, remember that the average range of human hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz, so headphones (Especially tiny earbuds) would very rarely go any lower than 20Hz.