Question about the Apple restocking fee.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by weezite, Dec 25, 2008.

1. weezite macrumors regular

I just got a new MacBook for Christmas. However, it's the old white MacBook. I got some extra money for Christmas and upgrade to the new aluminum MacBook. Will I still be charged the restocking fee even though I'm just going to be looking to just exchange and add the extra money? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If the package of the original has been opened, then most likely yes, because it will not be processed as a exchange plus more money to cover the difference, but rather a return with a refund of the purchase price (most likely minus the 10% restocking fee), and then a completely new purchase.

So expect to have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

3. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it was opened because my dad tried to set some things up for me. That's lame.

4. phoobo macrumors regular

not necessarily

I've talked a store manager out of the restocking fee in a similar situation to yours. This was at the 14th-st Apple store in NYC. YMMV, but yes, the stores have flexibility in this matter - I would think particularly so in this flat market for macs.

5. therealdt macrumors regular

I say keep what dad bought you and use what you have saved up for accessories, ram, etc. Just be happy that he/they bought you a nice laptop and enjoy it. Kids these days are never satisfied. I know I will be flamed, but I'm saying what other people are afraid to say.

6. Camoischaos macrumors member

Im with him. Use the extra money and throw some RAM in it and a larger HD.;)

7. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

I'll admit that I felt like a jerk when I bought up exchanging the MacBooks but the way I look at it is this: I've been looking forward to getting a MacBook forever. My dad didn't really know what I was looking for and got me something other than what I wanted. I figure if I'm getting my first mac, I want it to be right and I'm willing to shell out the extra money for it.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

i was at the same store and they previously waived a restocking fee for an ipod and mac for my cousin

9. therealdt macrumors regular

Keep it for six months, sell, then upgrade. This way it shows you tried it and found out it wasn't for you. In six months time, I'm sure the Alum Macbook you want now will be better.

I still stand by my earlier post though.

10. mosx macrumors 65816

Seriously, if you want to exchange it, do it. Don't feel bad about it. You will be charged the restocking fee unfortunately. But the plastic MacBooks are just not worth the money.

You have to deal with that god forsaken Intel GMA X3100 GPU and the poorly built plastic case. I had two plastic MacBooks (one was a replacement) and they went out for repair nearly 8 times combined just because of the typical issues with the plastic. Cracking in various places, discoloration from heat and use. Its ridiculous. The plastic MacBooks are terrible. They finally replaced it with an aluminum MacBook. This thing is great. Just take it back and get the one you want.

The gift giver will understand. Plus if you explain the common problems with the plastic that you generally don't find out about until well after you've bought and owned the system for months, they'll be even more understanding. So just go get the aluminum one. The plastic systems are a complete waste of money.

11. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I'm definitely exchanging it. My father completely understands. I just wanted to know if the restocking fee applied. I'll just to in and explain my situation. If they waive the fee, awesome. If they don't, then oh well, I'll eat it. I've been looking forward to this for so long, I want to get the one that I want.

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If you've not opened the packaging i.e. same condition with all labels and security seals on - Apple won't charge you a penny.

If you have opened it up... they will charge you (I think its around 10%, I could be wrong).

Good luck.

13. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Report back and tell us how it turned out.

14. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Coulden't agree more, i also thought the plastic MacBook was a poorly built piece of rubbish.....the unibody is just an amazing piece of solid engineering in comparison......

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats EXACTLY what I was worried about. Let me explain:

I made a deal with my dad last august that if my parents didnt get me anything for my birthday (august) and christmas he would help me pay for a macbook come februaryish (i wanted to wait until after macworld), whatever funds I dont have (ive been saving).

My dad is notorious for just going out on the deals I make with him and just going to buy goodies. Anyway, ive been VERY clear dropping hints and such that he shouldn't just go out and buy one because im sure he would have ended up getting the white macbook.

I told him there would probably be a price drop in january:p

16. weezite thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what happened with my dad, lol.

Anyway, I forgot about this thread, but I thought I'd let you guys know how it went. I went to the Apple Store at my local mall the day after Christmas and the mall was jam packed. I thought I'd have to wait in line at the Apple Store for hours, but they moved the line fast and I only had to wait 20 minutes. I explained the situation and they waived the fee no problem. I got my MacBook, an Incase protective sleeve, and a free printer. I love Apple and their customer service. So don't be afraid to ask to them to waive the fee because they will probably cooperate with you. Especially if them waiving the fee hinges on them making a sale.