Question about the Apple Watch 3 GPS + GLONASS connectivity

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Phily, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Phily macrumors member

Hi,

does anybody know if the Apple Watch 3 works as a GPS + GLONASS "receiver" for the iPhone?
    I use some apps to track my flights with my iPhone (CloudAhoy e.g.). As I store my iPhone in a sidepocket or the seatpocket of the Cessna 172 the connectivity is not always the best.
    My thoughts are that if the Apple Watch 3 works as a GPS/GLONASS receiver for the iPhone there would be a better signal and a better tracking as the watch has a direct visabilty to the sky through the windscreen or the side windows all the time.

Thanks and kind regards!

2. TScottTX macrumors member

TScottTX

From the Tech Specs on Apple site:

Series 3 GPS
    • Built-in GPS and GLONASS

3. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect not. Apple does everything they can to squeeze extra battery life out of the watch, including using the phones gps when available. So I doubt they would allow the watch gps to send data to the phone, as it would run down the battery pretty quickly.

4. Phily thread starter macrumors member

mk313, that makes sence ...
    Maybe it would work if I'd use a decent Apple Watch app for tracking and turn the iPhone into flightmode. Unfortunately the apps I use for tracking doen't have a decent Apple Watch version :(