Carrier Question about the AT&T Next

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecore762, Mar 22, 2017.

1. thecore762 macrumors regular

Question, if I upgrade my iPhone 6 which is no longer in a contract and it's owned and unlocked, and upgrade my line to the iPhone 7 Plus and go with the AT&T Next every year, will I be able to upgrade to the next iPhone that comes out later this year as long as I pay half off by the time it gets released?
    Will I be able to make additional payments towards the phone monthly to try to meet that 12 payment or half threshold?

2. drjeffb macrumors newbie

drjeffb

3. jetsam macrumors 6502

You can't make additional payments. Other than making monthly payments, you can only make either: 1) a lump sum payment to get you to 50%, in order to upgrade, or 2) a lump sum payment to pay off the phone entirely.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

In order to be able to upgrade later this year you'll need to make a down payment to lower your costs or pay for the phone outright. Otherwise paying the regular monthly installments you'd have to wait at least 12 months to reach the halfway point in order to trade in and upgrade.

5. jetsam macrumors 6502

You do not have to wait 12 months to reach the halfway point. You have the option to pay a lump sum to reach the 50% point at any time.
    Capture.JPG

6. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

This is basically what I do every year. I make the minimum monthly pmts, when the new iPhone comes out I payoff my current phone and sell it unlocked to cover the payoff. Usually there is a little extra funds that I put towards the sales tax of the new iPhone.

7. thecore762 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the info guys!
    The battery life is getting worse by the day on my 6... drains overnight big time. Rather get a new one instead of dealing with this...