Question about the battery of the new macbook pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fuzz02, May 26, 2010.

1. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

So I may be buying my friend's 2010 13 inch macbook pro off of him in the next couple of days because he has run into some financial trouble.

The two of us both had, and I still do have, the original Macbook and had run into issues with our batteries. Since then we've taken up the unplugging when 100% and letting it die before plugging it in kind of care.

He tells me that the new ones have internal batteries and can't be "unplugged" but the macbook pro takes care of it so he never has to unplug his laptop for fear of the battery losing its zero point.

Is this true?

I'm only asking because I want to know if this is an issue I'll have to deal with down the road since the week or two he's had it he has pretty much left it plugged in.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Apple recommends that you drain the battery to at least 50% every 2-3 days to avoid shortening the life. I personally like to use it to about 10-20%, but they say to only drain it fully about once a month at most. It is not good for lithium polymer batteries to be fully drained, so it isn't recommended.

3. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1 was about to say everything you said except the whole polymer batteries shouldn't be drained fully. good looking out mac brother!

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I don't recall seeing that recommendation on the battery site. ??? Try to post a link if you can find it please.

I think you only need to calibrate the battery once a month.

thanks
    JohnG

5. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

6. Fuzz02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

so even if he had it plugged in for all this time, I should be good?

Also, I forgot to check, I think he has the glossy screen, but when I asked him he wasn't sure and told "Just whatever comes standard I guess"

Is there only glossy on 13inch/is it the default when purchasing?