Question about the clear plastic that comes on the iTouch when you buy it..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NEWYORKMETS, May 20, 2008.

1. NEWYORKMETS macrumors newbie

I heard that some people leave the clear plastic that comes with the touch on the front.

I was just wondering how this is done? I haven't removed the plastic or anything, but it doesn't look like it's sticky enough to stay on.

Any help?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I really can't think of a good reason to leave it on there. The underlying glass is far harder and more scratch resistant than that plastic film - it's likely that the film would tear before the screen would scratch.

3. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I can't think of a good reason to keep it on the front. Only if they want to make sure that the back will not get scratched while looking for a case for it.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

I think it's ridiculous when people leave the casing on the the front. The only reason it was there in the first place is that so that the phone would look pristine when you opened it. You'll never be able to avoid scratches on a phone.

5. tesie1200 macrumors newbie

My dad left his on so that the screen does not get greased up from his fingers. Thats about the only good thing for that cover. He also bought one of them plastic/silicon cases that go around them so you cannot tell that it is on with the tab hanging off the bottom.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

But doesn't the cover get all smeared up instead then? My iPhone needs a quick rub on my shirt and it's clean again. The covers don't seem that easy.

7. NEWYORKMETS thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys.

Thanks for the replies.

Just another few questions..

If I would buy one of those clear cases to put over the whole iTouch from bestskinever.com..

Do they go on easily?
    Do they leave visible bubbles at all?
    Do they last long?
    Are they hard to clean?

I don't want to buy it if the answer to any of these questions are no. Especially if it's hard to clean and it shows bubbles underneath it.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

1) They go on fairly easily, you basically clean the screen, peel the plastic off one side of the skin, lay it over the screen slowly so you get no bubbles, then peel the plastic off the other side. In all for me it took about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

2) Most come with a cloth or a card that you use to get the bubbles out as you put it on, it's hard to get any bubbles considering you can ease the skin back off as you are applying it to get rid of any.

3) I had mine on there for around 3 months, and had no intention of taking it off; no scratches or damage whatsoever (only reason I don't have it is because the iPod itself screwed up).

4) Not really, I find the glass on the touch itself is a lot harder to clean. Fingerprints are much easier to get rid of from the cover than the glass.

The covers are easier to clean than the actual screens.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Here is a link to a review of the Bestskinever

Looks like it might be a good choice. I think I am going to order one as well.

Cheers.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/9A3B Safari/419.3)

so you want to leave the wrap on your 90's era ligitech keyboard? Makes sense in a way, keep it mint.

But really, I left mine on for a month or two, left no edge and it covered the whole front

11. NEWYORKMETS thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoever posted that review.. thanks a lot.

Only question about it though, what is with the soapy water? and how would you reapply the skin if you didn't like how u first put it on?

Those were the only questions I had when reading the review.