Question about the DS lite

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by juliancs, May 22, 2010.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There really is no problem as you describe. It's relatively easy to hold the stylus and the console and still access the buttons simultaneously. Most games that utilise the stylus don't use the buttons much and vice versa. In all the controls are really well thought out in the majority of games. You can also just use your fingers on the touchscreen in some games (i.e. you get an extra big button in new super mario bros especially for thumb activation).

It's one of those things that's hard to describe. You need to have a play around to fully understand.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You don't have to use the stylus, I've taken to just using my fingers with games like Pokemon that don't require precise input (barring the minigames). The touchscreen is used pretty well (or not at all) in the DS games I play. It's usually just used as an alternative to the dpad or they display action shortcuts on it.

Yea we're kinda spoiled on both the DS and PSP with RPGs. My PSP library is mostly just RPGs and the DS has some absolute gems. With a DS/DS Lite you can play GBA games too where there are even more RPG gems.

3. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They don't cost that much. Where a new PC game is around £30-50, DS games rarely poke above £30 if you shop around.

5. wsippel macrumors newbie

The DS is the best handheld ever created, maybe even one of the best gaming systems in history. The library is simply amazing. Sure, it lacks in a few genres (western RPGs, beat em ups, sports), but there are so many incredible games for the system.

The stylus is hardly an issue. Sure, some of the games heavily use the stylus (and some don't use it at all), and quite a few were completely built around that concept and hardly use any buttons, but those are also some of the best games on the system (Trauma Center, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, Ninja Gaiden or Soul Bubbles for example). Games that heavily use the stylus usually only use the dpad and/ or one of the shoulder buttons though, so there isn't much switching around.

And the games aren't that expensive, either. They are usually a lot cheaper than PC games, and even cheaper than PSP games, and usually drop in price after just a few weeks or months. The library is already huge, you have a lot of catching up to do, so you might as well start with some of the cheaper classics.

I would, however, suggest to wait until E3 in June, when Nintendo will reveal their next generation handheld to the public. It will be released within the next nine months and backwards compatible with the DS and DSi library.

6. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

7. wsippel macrumors newbie

Not really. Nintendo is as secretive as Apple, but usually better at preventing leaks, so there's pretty much nothing. The only known facts so far are that it will be shown at E3 (June 15th), will be compatible with the DS and DSi, and that it will have an autostereoscopic 3D display, which is why it's called 3DS.

Everything else is just speculation, more or less grounded in reality. It seems like it'll have at least one analog stick and two different displays (a 16x9 display, probably a high resolution parallax barrier display manufactured by Sharp that might or might not be multitouch, and a 4x3 display, probably a non-3D stylus driven touchscreen), and it supposedly has very good graphics for a handheld device, possibly well above PSP levels. It might have a Virtual Handheld service that allows you to download and play Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games. But those are only rumors.