Question about the family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by painholic, Jul 30, 2010.

1. painholic macrumors member

I'm trying to get a family plan right now with my friend but my friend lives Ohio and i live in Pennsylvania. If I get a new contract and add a line, is it possible that my friend can pick her iPhone up in her state and I pick my iPhone up in Pennsylvania?

And one more question. In a family plan, does one person have to pay the total bill or is it possible to divide the bill equally?

Thanks!
    I know this isn't really iPhone related thread but I like this forum a lot so I'm posting it :)

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Dont know about picking up in a different state, but one person has responsibility for and pays the bill.

I'd personally be real careful about entering into a family plan with a friend who lives far away. What happens if you have a falling out?

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Only if you or your friend want to have an out-of-state number, Family plans can't have different area codes. I lived in FL for many years and i got 5 lines on my family plan, When i move to GA i went to AT&T and tried to replace my number with a local number, and they couldn't do it. (note that is not that they don't want to, but the system wouldn't allow it)

You can pick up your phone whenever you want, and have it anywhere (as I have mine in GA for more than a year now) but my area code is still from FL.

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yea I worked for AT&T before and can tell you that both of you will have to have the same local area code. Though I have seen accounts with different ones though, not sure how they got around it. Call the re-location dept maybe.

Anywho, yea you can divide the bill, either online or the iphone app. You would pay your amount, they would pay their amount. Thats how I do it on my family plan. But of course just one of you would have to be fully "responsible" for the account.

Im not sure about them being able to pickup a phone out of state, the primary account holder is supposed to be present when adding a line. It would be easier if you got the phones and then shipped the phone to them.

5. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

Family plans CAN have different area codes. For instance, I am the primary number on my family plan and my area code is different than the other members in my family plan.

6. rayyu882 macrumors member

My family plan has 4 lines now and 3 lines have different area code... One of the line is in different state now too. It can be done.

To add a line to a family plan, the primary account holder will need to present at a store, or you can order a phone and add it to the family plan online, then have AT&T directly ship to a different address.

Ray

7. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

But is the two different area codes in the same state? Like I said, I worked for att and have seen this, but it was likely in the same state. When pulling phone numbers for new accounts it only gives you choices within the area/state. It wont allow me to pull a number from florida and also from nevada in the same account.

There could be a work around somehow, but I personally have not seen it happen.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Are they area codes from the same state?

As i said..maybe they change it, but they couldn't do it when I tried about a year ago. I seen a friend of mine who got diferent area codes on his plans but they are on the same state (954 Ft Lauderdale - 561 West palm beach)

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've also had to deal with this since myself and my fiance were on my parents family plan. We were able to get her phone in a different state at an att store local to us. We just had to have an account signer call att and make a note that we were going in to set things up. No big deal and no issues. That way she got to see the white vs black iphone 3g and make the call there.

We did have to share the same area code as them but I didn't push very hard for getting a different one.

Please be careful with bill responsibility. If possible I'd get him to be the main person on the plan and reduce your responsibility. He can make you an account signer so you have access to everything but when it comes down to who's to blame in att's eyes it won't be you. Just my two cents.

10. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

You can have different area codes but att cant do it if the area codes are from different markets.
    ie The Philadelphia Market includes parts of PA, DE, NJ, MD but not all of the states. You can't have a DE phone number and a phone number on your acct from northern NJ