Question about the first official AIM application on iPhone after firmware 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbanksy9, Mar 8, 2008.

1. cbanksy9 macrumors member

Hey guys I was reading around the sites earlier and it said that hte one down point to a native AIM application made by AOL after the software 2.0 comes out is that the iphone is incapable of running 2 applications at the same time. Meaning if yor logged in to the AIM app and you hit the home button be go on Safari or check your email your aim app will quit and sign you off. ow I hope since this is AOL they can work with apple to work around this because I know in the jailbreak community they have already have aim apps that can keep you online and receiving im's while not in the app. If you guys know anything I don't please let me know because this is one of the biggest things I want to download from the APP Store.

Thanks Alot

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If Apple release it as "iChat" it could run in the background.

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I'm sure that companies with whom Apple has a close working relationship, AOL included, will not necessarily be restricted to running in the background. This restriction is a security measure put in place over 3rd party developers; but a company as large as AOL would be expected to not write intentionally malicious code; and would probably be working with Apple in tandem to some degree.

4. SRSound macrumors 6502

The whole point to a native AIM (iChat) app would be the ability to run in the background and constantly "listen" for messages - otherwise they would simply insist on using a webapp. I would be very surprised if the official AIM app wasnt treated as all the other 1st party apps and given the ability to run in the background.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

when you exit one app it holds in the same position that you left it, so although not running it is resumed when you return apparently, though im sure an aim account on iphone would get special treatment.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My mind is spinning.... :confused:

7. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I would imagine Apple would indeed want to release this as iChat for the iPhone. It just wouldn't make any sense otherwise. I am sure Apple is working on more applications. And they sure didn't make agreements with Cisco that finally allow this kind of software only to let AOL do it solo.

Alex

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

This thread rocks. iChat, AIM.

I absolutely love this thread.
    I've been wondering the same thing, but I think because AIM is a huge, official company, and that they work so closely with Apple, AND that it is necessary to be able to run AIM in the background with other apps, that we will be able to run it in the background.
    If not, I think Apple will release an iChat application as an official application coming with 2.0, including many instant messaging services, and video messaging (with iPhone). I'm leaning towards (and hoping) that they release iChat. It's a must that AIM can run in the background in order to receive pop-up notifications that you have received an IM.
    Have a great week everyone! Appreciate you taking the time to read my post :)

9. xA4Hx macrumors member

Only way to effectively run aim in the background would for the phone to be 3g so it would not get disconnected when a phone call comes in. Which is why I want to try to wait until june for hope of the release or announcement of 3g iphone because it is also make exchange better to if it doesnt have to break the connection while I am chating on the phone.

-illusion

10. sfoalex macrumors 6502

And in WiFi, and I am around WiFi much of the day.

Alex