Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I ordered my iPad a week ago and got free engraving. Obviously this is gonna hurt the resale but I dont care since I have no plans of ever selling it. My question is how will they handle if it if I want to return it? (bad light bleed, or something else) I read somewhere they dont accept returns on engraved iPads. That sounds pretty ridiculous if that's true. If I can return it, will they send me one thats engraved again?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
They don't accept returns on engraved items, but that doesn't mean that engraved items have no warranty. If you have a defective product, you will get it replaced. If you want to return it because you decided you didn't want an iPad, then you are out of luck.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
i got the free engraving for an ipod nano for my wife. stupid move if we ever want to sell it. doing it on something as expensive as an iphone or ipad is questionable. as far as returning it for an exchange...what is apple supposed to do with it? maybe if you pay to have the back replaced.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Engraving has NO effect on your warranty at all, you will still get your iPad repaired or replaced if it fails during its warranty period.
However, it may well need to be returned to Apple for repairs where otherwise they might have just given you a new one from stock.
If a complete replacement is required it should be sent with the same engraving you originally had, assuming they can`t re-use your existing back panel for some reason.

Many people on here will berate you for having it engraved but I think it`s pretty cool to have a more individual iPad.
Not bothered on mine simply because I never actually use it naked so I never see the back.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Personally I think engraving on such a device is a bit dim.

If you are buying saw something out of silver or gold etc for a Christening, Anniversary, Wedding, which is a family keepsake and something personal you will treasure for many years, then that's a fantastic and lovely idea.

For a piece of mass produced electronics that will be out of date and got rid of in a few years time, max it seems a bit daft really.

It would be like scratching your name in the paintwork of your car.

There are many other ways to visually personalise such a device that does not cause this problem.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Many people on here will berate you for having it engraved

If you are buying saw something out of silver or gold etc for a Christening, Anniversary, Wedding, which is a family keepsake and something personal you will treasure for many years, then that's a fantastic and lovely idea.

For a piece of mass produced electronics that will be out of date and got rid of in a few years time, max it seems a bit daft really.

There are many other ways to visually personalise such a device that does not cause this problem.

Told you OP :p
I mean no offence Piggie, anyone who`s into Amiga`s is totally cool in my book :D

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002

I have no intention of doing this but I don't see the problem with it. I already have two outdated apple products that are for the most part in retirement. Not everyone sells their stuff.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for the answers. Glad I can return it if it is defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.