Question about the iPhone 5's battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abba 701, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Abba 701 macrumors regular

Can it be charged an unlimited amount of times? Would it just stop working at some point? Or can I always use it plugged in?

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's not really good for the long-term lifespan of any rechargeable battery to have it plugged in ALL the time. However, modern batteries/devices are designed to prevent overcharging, which used to be an issue, and would damage batteries a lot more quickly.

Generally, it's said that a lithium ion battery can undergo around 500 full discharge/recharge cycles before there's a noticeable decrease in battery life.

3. Abba 701 thread starter macrumors regular

Basically my question is will the battery ever stop working.

4. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Eventually even the sun will stop burning, so...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yes. It's capacity to hold a charge will slowly decrease. Over time is will hold a charge less and less until it is unusable. Everything wears out sooner or later.

7. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Depending how often you use/charge it, the battery will last anything from 12 months to five years. The good thing about the iPhone 4 and 5 is that the battery is very easy to replace. You can buy a new battery on the internet for a reasonable price and fit it yourself. All you need is a special type of screwdriver and a suction pad. Both of these can be bought as a fitting kit along with the battery. I changed the battery on my old iPhone 4 and including the fitting kit it cost me £20 GBP. The job took 10 minutes.