Question about the January Software Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drysdalk, Apr 18, 2017.

1. drysdalk macrumors newbie

Hi,

A bit of a blast from the past, this, but...here goes anyway. A little while ago I purchased an iPod touch 1st gen off of eBay, running iOS 1.1.4. It had previously belonged to some other random person whose identity I never knew, and after a factory reset and an update to 1.1.5 I was good to go. It must have had the January Software Update installed on it at some point in its previous life, since it had all the apps and content which that update enables (Weather, Stocks, Mail, Maps, etc).

Now, randomly at some point while I was using it, it bricked itself - literally. I was using it, the screen broke up into jagged lines, it rebooted, and I got the "Connect to iTunes screen". Some random bug in iOS 1 no doubt, but anywyay, I was left with no choice but to restore it. And naturally, since my own Apple ID does not have the January Software Update associated with it, I was then left with a far less functional (relatively, ahem) iPod touch at the end.

Now, my question is: does anyone know of a way to still purchase that update for an iOS 1.x iPod touch ? I realise I can apprently still pay to get 3.1.3 on here which will naturally solve the problem as it will include all the missing bits, but I'd like to keep this on iOS 1 just...well, just because, really. I've got other devices on iOS 2, 3 and 4, and this is my only one with iOS 1 on it, so I plant to keep it that way if I can.

I've searched and can't seem to see the January Software Update avaialble in either the App Store or iTunes any more, which is hardly surprising. Does anyone have a direct link to the purchase that still works which would let me pay for it and install it via iTunes, or is it really and truly absolutely gone now ?

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

When iOS was new, Apple used to provide major software updates (iOS 1 to iOS 2, and iOS 2 to iOS 3) for free to iPhone users. But they charged $9.99 to iPod touch users. When iOS 4 came out, they thankfully stopped doing this and provided updates to iOS 4 and above for free.

Despite both the iPod touch 1G and iOS 3 being completely unsupported for years, Apple is still charging for the iOS 3 upgrade and popular iOS download sites (like ipsw.me) don't provide direct download links for it.

If you do find an IPSW file, all you have to do is hold down Alt while you click the "Restore" button in iTunes and you can manually choose the IPSW file.

3. drysdalk thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I realise that as per your instructions I could flash a fully-functional 3.1.3 straight on to it, either by purchasing it or obtaining the IPSW by other means. What I'm interested in knowing is if there's still a way of either purchasing or installing the January update that would let me stay on iOS 1, but with all the paid-for extras enabled. If it just can't be done anymore then so be it, but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has a way of purchasing the old January update as of today.