Question about the latest MBP Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonDawg18, Mar 13, 2013.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Hi guys,

I know that Apple recently gave the MBP line a speed bump.

I'm in the market for a new 15" rMBP. I had a friend offer to sell me his "previous generation" one. The specs are the same as what I would buy (2.7ghz, i7 Processor, 768 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM).

Here's my question. When Apple released the latest update, did anything else improve? Is there ANY difference between a 2.7gzh model in this generation and the previous one?

I've looked everywhere and can't really find any details. Thanks guys!

2. B..., Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you mean the rMBP, Apple started using SanDisk SSDs, which have problems with fans spinning out of control. They also changed I/O boards, logic boards, bottom cases and perhaps thermal heat sinks. If you can, get the new gen, but the old one is by no means bad (even better perhaps because the SanDisk SSDs have problems). However, the old one has more cache--slightly more powerful. Coupled with the better price, you cannot go wrong.

BUT--the 2012 gen might have IR, throttling issues etc. Check first!

3. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Your friend’s previous-gen 2.7GHz rMBP was a top-of-the-line machine, meaning it has 8MB of L3 cache.

The current 2.7GHz rMBP is a middle-of-the-line machine, meaning it only has 6MB of L3 cache.

Take the used one. (Although, check it for IR / screen manufacturer first.)

4. JasonDawg18 thread starter macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Thanks for your help. Forgive my naivety - what is L3 cache? What difference does it make?

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

In terms of retrieval speed, it goes hard drive, RAM and then cache. Cache is the place where the stuff is put that needs to be accessed very quickly. If something has a larger cache, it can store more things in this high speed retrieval center. It can therefore be processed faster, thus making the computer more powerful and appear faster. If you are rendering HD video, bits of it are stored on the cache at one time, and a higher cache means more can be processed at once, making it render faster (you also need a good processor; fortunately, a 2.7 GHz quad core is very fast).

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The 2.8 GHz rMBP upgrade includes 8MB of L3 cache instead of the 6MB the 2.7 gets, right? The 2.8 processor is a $250 option, however.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That isin the current gen. In llast gen, the 2.7 GHz processor was what the 2.8 is now: with 8 MB of cache.

8. ColdCase, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Don't know what you mean by not current gen, perhaps I misunderstand. But if the OP wants 8MB L3 cache in the current gen you go to apple's site and order a new 2.7 15 inch rMBP and add the 2.8 upgrade option.

But are you saying that by selecting the 2.8 option, you will be sent the older version rMBP (version without the other ~Feb 2013 updates)?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No, that is not what I meant. The OP is able to get a used 2012 version of the 15" rMBP. During that time, there was a 2.7 GHz BTO upgtade with 8 MB of cache. Since the rMBPs got a .1 GHz spec bump in 2013, that option is now 2.8 GHz with 8 MB of cache.

So, in 2012, the 2.7GHz wasa BTO option with 8 mb of cache. In 2013, 2.7 GHz is a base model which comes with 6 mb of cache. OP can get the former from his friend.