Question about the mabook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samueltan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. samueltan macrumors newbie

I have been using PC for almost 10 years and really got tired of all the problems related to windows. I have been considering switching to mac for several months, but I still have some questions about mac and wish anyone can help me a little here.

- "The Hardware problem"
    As we know, the general ram we use for PC is 2 GB. But for the macbook, it is 1 GB. I really doubt whether it is enough and it costs 150 dollars to upgrade to 2GB from apple. ~~~~. Is there anywhere else I can buy the ram (I am not sure whether the ram is specific for mac) ? About the HD, I have no idea what the 80 GB means to MAc. The pc I use at least has 160 GB.

- "Software problem"
    OK, the Office I use was downloaded from internet(dont ask me whether it is piracy). I am just a poor student and cannot afford the price. If I switch to mac, i dont know where to get it and I just saw the price of the new office for mac, 199$!!!!!!

-"Rumor"
    Many people have told me the "Jan 15". Should I order it right now or just wait until Jan 15? Is it possible apple upgrade macbook anytime in the near future?

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

DON'T buy ANYTHING from apple untell tuesday, i think we shall see a update of some kind to current macbooks,
    just PLEASE wait:eek:

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

On hardware:

You'll find that OS X is pretty zippy with 1 GB of RAM, because it's not as bloated as Windows. 80 GB really isn't that much, unless you are just a light user. But it should be sufficent.

On Software

Google "Neo Office" without the quotes. It's basically likke Office, but free.

On Rumor

It is very possible that there will be an update to the MacBook on the 15th. You could buy one now and be happy with what you have, or you could wait until the 15th and see if anything new comes along.

4. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

Just a extended question, can someone give me a run down of the actually upgrade that apples making on jan 15th?
    i purchased a macbook last week n want to know just how bad my timing really was.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's a rumor. No one knows what they will give us. Might be more wireless, might me an ultraportable. Use the front page for more info.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

the other thing to remember is that if you were to buy the stock macbook that the memory AND hdd are very easy to change with full instructions from Apple.
    The costs of third party ram and hard drives make it attractive to upgrade.

7. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

yeah johny is right.
    i just purchased the white 2.2ghz macbook with 120gd with a student discount for 1,750 and purchased an extra 2g ram and installed it yesterday.
    very easy with the help of a tutorial on google and cost me half the price apple charge.
    very good idea, recommend you do it.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I doubt MacBooks will be updated before spring, but you could wait for jan 15 just in case.

Hardware: all depends on how you use your computer. For some people 512 MB RAM is enough, some find 8 GB to be lacking. Same for HD space.

If you have a lot of stuff that you need to keep on your computer, get a bigger HD. I suggest you look through your HD and see what you can live without, then make a decision on what HD size to take. OS X takes about 15-20 GB on clean intall (dont remember the exact number), while stuff like music, vidoes, images take the same space as in Windows.

I can't really give you advice on RAM, but on my MacBook with 1 GB RAM I can surf web, have my music playing, run e-mail app, IM client and do some word processing without any slowdowns.

9. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

HARDWARE: RAM and HDD are very easy to upgrade in macbooks, especially with the apple instructions as mentioned above

SOFTWARE: Neo Office or OpenOffice are both very nice alternatives to office.
    (AND FREE)

RUMOR: Seriously, it's two days away..... if I were in your situation I would wait and see what they announce unless you extremely desperately need it before tuesday!!!!:)

10. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

hey caffiene, (im drinking a coke right now)
    just a quick question, the alternatives to office that u speak of how do they run compared to office?
    im just wondering if its work getting office when i can get these, but if there are major disadvanges then i could just get office.
    cheers

11. signatus macrumors member

signatus

OpenOffice is very nice software, as an alternative to Microsoft's Office. It's free, and the documents in OpenOffice occupy less MBs. With OO you can read any document written in Microsoft's Office format (not the other way round), and you can save the document in Microsoft's format.

12. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

oh ok well im downloading it as we speak.
    il let ya know how it goes down alright?