Question about the mac architech and keyloggers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Delighted, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am absolutely noob about this but is it possible for suspicious individuals to plug a usb on your mac then literally drag and drop a keylogger file onto your desktop and have it infect your computer? or would it require password no matter what?

I'm planning to put at a mac pro in my uncles coffee shop and this is a concern of mine when it gets busy and i may not be able to attend to the mac.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would almost always require a password. The only way it wouldn't is if the person used a security flaw in a unpatched system.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once you give someone physical access to your computer, all bets are off. I'd be more concerned about someone stealing it. However, if you lock your computer before you step away, no one can drag and drop anything.

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

At the least, you'd want to set up a restricted account, (probably the Guest account,) limit the apps that the account can run to Safari and other essential helper apps, set a firmware password, and lock the case shut.

At that point, you mostly have to worry about people with bolt cutters, people who can pick locks, and people spilling coffee into the computer. (That last one being the most likely.)