Question about the macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jumpman23j, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jumpman23j macrumors newbie

i currently have a 2006 core duo macbook and I hate the speakers on the machine because they aren't loud at all. Are the speakers the same on the mbp 13" and 15"? Does one have louder speakers than the other? thanks.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You mean are they different on the NEW unibody models? Yes they are greater quality and louder. In my opinion I rank the sound as such: 17>13>15

You mean on the old models? There was no 13" until recently. The speakers in the old 15" and 17" are very much the same.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The 15" is probably louder because the speakers are on the sides of the keyboard. My computer (13") the speakers are underneath the keyboard. I think it is plenty loud enough though. :)

4. jumpman23j thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm talking about the new models. I want to know if the 15" or 13" unibody has louder speakers. Has anyone did a test? I currently have a macbook from 2006 and the speakers aren't loud at all and pretty much suck.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There probably isn't too much of a difference among 13" machines. I don't think the speakers on newer models will be significantly louder than older ones.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In my opinion, they're the best descrete speakers in any notebook. They even sound good in the other room! Also in my opinion, I think the 13" sounds better than the 15", in my tests. Good range, good volume, the distortion is tolerable.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I wonder if the speakers in the 13 vs the 15 are actually different, or just placed in a different spot? Has anyone seen/verified with the teardowns of the machines?

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Google, my friend, is powerful yet approachable.

9. jumpman23j thread starter macrumors newbie

why do you think the 13" sound better? So how did you conduct your test and find out that the 13" are louder? thanks.

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Easy! The Getty Lee Sawyer test. Crank it and rock the hell out!

"A modern day warrior mean mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer mean mean pride" *synth riff* deedoo deedoo deedoo DEE da deedoo deedoo

But seriously, I had a friend order a new MacBook Pro 15" to my house for me to install software and such. I got to compare the sound with my 13" at that time and I just found the quality of the smaller one better, not sure what it was. I think the sound travels more on the 13".

Basically after lusting after the 15" I was dissapointed. Either way the MacBook Pro line has some of the best discrete speakers in a notebook.

EDIT: The unibodies blow the old MacBook Pros out of the water so high they clip seaguls

11. jumpman23j thread starter macrumors newbie

So I am interested to know if you kept the 13" or the 15"?

12. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I was also wondering how the sound quality of MBP 13.3'' were. I never heard them before and reading this thread did help!
    In my opinion I would say they should perform better then the older models as the 13.3'' MBP are new this year and upgrades in technology (Speakers) hopefully improved. I don't have an older MBP to here the difference or know anyone with an older MBP :p

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The 15" wasn't mine, I was babysitting it for a friend. I have a 13".

14. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Sweet! So it sounds like the 13.3'' is worth buying, better sound too. Plus it does look really sexy ;)
    I think ill go with the highest model of the MBP 13.3''

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The UniBody MBPs have great speakers, I'm getting the 15" one:D

16. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

@lilskaterpunk

My experiences with the 13" MacBook Pro are as pain free and enjoyable as can be. There's nothing like toting the little power-house around like a toy and then pulling it out on a plane and finishing that game or spreadsheet and leaving the rubber-neckers in awe.

I personally don't like the 15" for several "MINOR" reasons.
    For one, the 1-piece bottom lid seems to bow inward when you apply pressure, as when picking it up.
    Another is the reported issue of the weak hinge that causes it to fall inward if at an angle, as when on your lap.
    Then, I'm probably the only one, I feel like there is just TOO much wasted surface area on both the 17" and 15". Perhaps they make for a good writing surface, though :p

If I could own any Mac, it would be the original 15" with the removable battery. But since the integrated batteries I couldn't be happier than I am with my sweet little 13". And yeah, something about it, I don't know what, gives it a sort of personality the others don't have =\

17. jumpman23j thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, a lot of people say the 13.3 inch is too small but I currently own a 2006 13.3 inch macbook and I don't think it's too small. I like the smaller lightweight laptops.

18. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah, playing Call of Duty and every other aspect of the notebook is PERFECT on this "small" screen. I personally think 12"-full/13"-wide is the PERFECT size :D

I don't know how to explain my love for the 13" MacBook Pro, clamshell iBook and 12" PowerBook. I think they have a sort of personality like the Luxo lamp from Pixar...plus having all the power I could ever need in such a managable form factor and size. I think it's magical.

19. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I agree! I was trying a few 13.3'' MBP yesterday and then compaired to 15'', I really liked the 13.3'' for how small and portable it is :) I do think 15'' is the perfect size for all around use, but its just to big for me for what I like to do. I may have repeated myself here a few times... lol
    14''-13.3'' is very little change and I think I will buy a MBP 13.3'' soon!

Sweet dude! Thanks for that info. I guess the 13.3'' aspect and graphics card is decent ;)