Question about the Micro Cell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OutlawImmortal, Jun 13, 2010.

1. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

Ok so as mentioned in a reply on another thread, I was in a verizon store today. They have a mini tower like the At&t micro cell.

I asked the sales rep about theirs, he told me that while I wouldnt get 3g coverage in my home because it isnt in my area, I would still get service to use my phone.

About a month ago I contacted At&t about their micro cell, I wasnt simply told it wasnt in my area yet and that was the end of the discussion.

My question is, do you think the sales rep, who seen he had failed at winning me over with the droid was blowing smoke up my arse in a last ditch effort to get me to switch?

If the verizon mini tower would give me regular cell service in my home wouldnt the At&t one as well, the At&t person was only going on the 3g coverage perhaps and not just regular cell service?

Has anyone dealt with this?

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Your post is a bit confusing. Not sure what your question really is but let me try.

First, see this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=790477 really good and informative.

Next, Verizon's microcell does NOT support DATA. Just voice. You can also only have like 3 concurrent devices connected. AT&T's device supports ALL 3G enabled phones, data and voice simultaneously. I think up to 3 or 4 with data at the same time. Can't remember. The device does NOT support non 3G devices. Both will give you cellular service as long as you have a high speed connection. Fiber, cable or the like. It has to be decent.

AT&T is rolling out it's 3G Microcell nationwide to various markets. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the rollout. It still has not hit my area yet I hear everyone else getting them.

That's all we know. Even most of the AT&T reps, online and in store are pretty clueless.

3. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Here is a link to find out if it's in your area.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

I just picked one up 2 weeks ago and it has been a life saver. I had zero reception at my house in the boonies and now have 5 bars of 3g. Its definitely not available in all areas, but I was lucky enough for once that it was for me. As absolute stated, you must have a broadband connection, and it will support up to 4 devices at once. The cell number must be added online for it too work though, so no leeching possible.

4. OutlawImmortal thread starter macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

Ive called and been to the att site, I keep being told its not offered in my area because there is no 3G. I dont care I just want to be able to use the phone in my house lol.

Thanks guys