Question about the new 24" LED Display, is there motion blur?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MVApple, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of either going for the new 24" LED display or a 32" 1080 television primarily to watch blu-ray movies. The television would be larger but the cinema display would have more utility. From what I've read, the cinema display under bootcamp passes the HDCP test so watching blu-ray movies works.

I've noticed that the screen has a 14ms lag though, which seems quiet high when compared to typical lcds, but manufactures calculate this differently. So how is the motion blur on the set?

Does anybody here watch blu-ray movies on it? If so how does it compare to a nice television set?

*edit*
    I'd also like to extent my question and ask if people are experiencing that "glow" famous to IPS screens when they look at it from an extreme angle.

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

All LCDs are going to have sample and hold blur, just nature of the beast. And all IPS are going to have the off-angle glow unless you get something with the A-TW polarizing filter like the NEC.

3. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I understand that all lcds will have some motion blur. I also know about the off-angle glow, but I should of been more specific. The reason I asked about motion blur was because Apple lists a 14ms response time which is very slow by todays standards. The problem of course is that most companies artificially measure it to make it seem faster than it really is in daily use. Apple doesn't say how they measure it either so its difficult to get a comparison.

As for the glow, is it as bad as you video makes it out to be? Or is the camera exaggerating this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCprmxndaE&feature=related

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

I find the quoted specs to be meaningless so I ignore them. I don't see any more blur than on any other recent panel I've used.

I think the glow is as bad as that video but I don't think the video is that bad. They get to pretty extreme angles to make that happen. I don't notice it during usage, only when I stand up to walk away from my desk if my lighting is low. I stream TV shows to mine via slingbox and view them from my other desk (on the wall 90 deg off) with no issues. It's mostly when I'm looking down at it from an angle.