Question about the new MBP with LED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dooyou, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dooyou macrumors regular

Hi everybody!

at first, great forum! Best wishes from germany, munich!

I bought on december my MBP C2D 2,33 Ghz and I'm very happy with it. It's fast, silent and beautiful. Only the display could be better (the illumination).

In my opinion, there is no no reason to buy the new mbp. But on the one hand i heard that the illumination from LED backlights are perfect. Is that true? On the other hand, the other changes are not so enormous...

What do you think? Should i change my mbp because of LED or is my thought rubbish?

Thanks for helping!

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

3. danny_w macrumors 601

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the LED backlight displays. There is a single-line mention of LED backlights in the press release and on the hardware page, but no mention at all in the tech specs or in the store. So it is real or not?

4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

For the last time yes both 15" screens (matte and glossy) are now LED backlite. 17" is still using the old method.

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

apple explicitly states that there is no difference between the LED and the current generation of MBP screens in terms of brightness. I can't perfectly remember the apple doc I saw this in, but I promise you it is there. I will look. So if the screen is it for you, it doesn't matter because the environmental damages is already done, but if the other updates and saving some battery time are important and you don't mind paying for it, go get it. Mine is on order.

6. avalys macrumors 6502

It is definitely real, Apple is just choosing not to make a big deal out of what (for most people) amounts to an esoteric little technical detail.

7. avalys macrumors 6502

Except that the fluorescent backlights gradually get dimmer, so if you have an older MBP, the LED-lit screens might be slightly brighter (and will remain so).

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm sure Apple has chosen not to make a big deal out of the LED because it would undermine the technology in the 17" MBP which doesn't have LED. And they do want to continue selling those 17 monsters.

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

A small, but fair point that I overlooked, thanks.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I do hope they found a better supplier of the matte coatings for their screens.

11. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your answers!

Just another question. Is it maybe possible to connect the LED Display (change the display) from the third generation to an mbp from the second gen.?

12. vassillios macrumors 6502

vassillios

I also have a suspision that uneven back lighting will go away with the LED models.

Plus, you have INSTANT brightness with LED back lighting...this is huge.