Question about the OS X Leopard version of Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jameslikeness, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

Does the developers' build of OS X Leopard include auto-complete spell checking and capitalization in Mail?

I have become very dependent on Microsoft Office's use of auto-complete for spell checking and capitalization. Apple's Mail app lacks that functionality in 10.4 and earlier. I would love to switch to Mail from Entourage, and I was wondering if anyone with a developers' build of Leopard might be able to tell me if that's integrated.

I understand that Mail has spell-check built in, but it doesn't have an auto-correct feature. It only shows you your spelling mistakes and gives you the option to fix them. What I'm looking for is the ability to have the program fix the errors automatically.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I had never noticed an auto-correct feature in the WWDC build of Leopard, although it may have been added to 9A499. If not, perhaps the final build due out in October will have it.

3. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Dang. Has anyone else noticed if it's included?

4. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Just a bump. Anyone noticed if there's auto-correct built into the new Mail.app?

5. chelsel macrumors 6502

Microsoft patent on auto-correct

I know this thread is old but thought you might like to know that Microsoft has a patent on auto-correct... so we'll probably never see it unless Jobs licenses it, or comes up with something better.

Here's the patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=2PkaAAAAEBAJ&dq=microsoft+autocorrect

I know this because we write spell checker software and it's an oft-requested feature for us too :)

6. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Ah, dang. Oh well. I've trained myself to capitalize words that need to be capitalized and spell correctly in my waiting for this feature. Thanks for the answer, though!