Question about the Power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJ-R, Sep 19, 2010.

1. DJ-R macrumors regular

Not sure if this exists in OS X or in the Apple world... lol

My MacBook Pro is coming in tomorrow hopefully from a super long wait over the weekend (sad).

Now, just curious that I am not sure if the power theory is the same as PC.

We all know that Windows has Power Save mode and Performance mode. It will throttle the CPU or GPU down for more battery saving while running on battery only.

Since MacBook series has switchable graphic and such. There is no such things as power saving mode or performance mode.

Plug in AC for full power.
    Less performance while running on Battery.

My question is; MacBook just runs as if there's AC or not the same power level. Just like iPhone / iPod Touch?

I'm asking because I'm lazy to keep finding power jack around in University in order to do intensive 3D animation or video editing. If the MacBook will just run as full power if needed while on battery. I'll be happy.

2. ohheyitskeil macrumors newbie

Yes, the mac does have a "power saver" mode. It (on some models) turns off TurboBoost and (on all models) disables the graphics switching and only runs off the on-board Intel card for increased battery performance. You can also go into system preferences and tweak the power settings there also.