Question about the processor

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FlamesfanElite, Mar 7, 2012.

1. FlamesfanElite macrumors newbie

So they said the Quad Core is the graphics and dual is for the rest of the iPad. Does that mean my games and stuff will run faster? Like if I'm playing a game will it be running smoother? Kinda confuses me lol

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Yes, there is a CPU and GPU, one is dual, the other is quad. IMO the iPad and its interface and all, rarely uses the full potential of processing power, and for most users it is the graphics power that is used. Plus with the new display, you would have to need something this powerful to keep up.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

The CPU is dual-core. The iPad 2 CPU was also dual core. It might be a bit faster or it might be exactly the same, we won't know for a while yet, but don't expect much improvement.

The GPU is quad-core, where the iPad 2 was dual core. 2x faster. But the screen has 4x more pixels to draw, so on paper it's only half the speed of the iPad 2. In practice games don't need 4x more power to draw 4x more screen though, so in practice it'll probably be similar.

I reckon you won't see much speed difference, basically. Just a big quality improvement.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am betting there will not be that much of a speed increase as it is going to take a LOT of processing to drive that Retina screen. Just so it is not slower will be good for me.