Question about the rMBP with an external display connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derhumphrey, Feb 23, 2013.

1. derhumphrey macrumors newbie

I currently have a mid 2010 MBP with an external 22'' display connected. Having the display connected puts quite some load on the GT 330M and the fans are always running at 6000rpm, even when I'm just watching YouTube or browsing reddit. Which is annoying.

However, I will buy a rMBP in the very near future and I was wondering what the fan noise would be like if I connected the same display to that rMBP. Since the GT 650M is more powerful I would assume the fans run much slower, yes? Does anyone have a setup like this and could confirm that? And what about clamshell mode, is the fan noise within expectable limits with the lid closed?

Thanks guys!

2. agaskew macrumors 6502

I run a rMBP in clamshell mode, connected by Thunderbolt port / DVI to an external 23" display maybe 50% of the time. Also using the Bluetooth Apple keyboard and Microsoft(!) USB mouse.

The fans are only really audible when the machine is really pushed, e.g. Running 4 or 5 virtual machines concurrently or playing a demanding game. For most of the time the fans are either not working hard or really quiet. For browsing, email, YouTube etc, I never hear the fans. Note this is a 2.7/16Gb/768 rMBP.

3. derhumphrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! That's the same one I'm getting. Thanks for your answer, now I'm really looking forward to my new rMBP :)

4. agaskew macrumors 6502

I moved up from a late 2010 2.7 17" i7 MBP with Seagate Momentous drive and 8Gb RAM. That was - still is - a good machine, but the rMBP wipes the floor with it.
    From your mid 2010 MBP to one of these, you are going to love it.

5. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I use mine frequently docked to a thunderbolt display. Fans? What fans?