Question about the SDK....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skythefly13, Feb 24, 2008.

1. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

Does Apple really even need an event to show off the SDK? Maybe the would just release it since it isn't really used by everybody, just people developing apps....Just curious though! Maybe it could still come on the 26th and that would be the reason for no invitations being sent out to the media?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

No, they don't really need an event. But an event adds hype and exposure in mainstream media.

If they do have an event, it will probably be to show off some cool new apps that have been developed already using the SDK.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I kind of agree.

The SDK is for us nerds only why bother making an event out of it.

Just release an update for the phone featuring some new apps and add the download link to the x-code page and call it a day.

Maybe make a last second press conference. A whole event though for just this really?

4. iphonewiz macrumors regular

It is a big Deal

Agreed, to developers a big announcement is not needed, however, this would be a major marketing annoucement. We are talking about additional revenue to Apple's bottom line. It would help bolster its stock price.

5. wizard macrumors 68040

No not for the SDK, but yes for everything that comes with it. For example the software distribution method which appears to be something that will happen through iTunes or similar arrangement. Also expect to see a firmware Mobile OS upgrade to correspond with the SDK release.
    Yes that is true for the SDK but you have to remember that it appears that there will be a distribution system introduced with the SDK. One has to remember that there is a reason to develop iPhone apps and that is the sale to the customer. Personally I think this is what is taking the SDK so long, that is to prepare the distribution method and the security of the system.
    It could happen, that is the SDK only gets released and people pretty much can do nothing for app distribution. Once the distribution method is finalized we get new apps. The problem here is one of marketing, much interest can be generated by a well done "SDK Release".

Dave

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I feel it will be hyped so Apple can capitalize on a little more iPhone frenzy. They can have Steve walking around the stage throwing fairy dust and saying how wonderful things will be when (he can charge for) all of the new applications for the iPhone platform are brought to us by the software developers courtesy of the Apple iPhone SDK. They won't want to miss another chance to bump something else into the revenue stream. There will probably be some new applications made available at the SDK to keep everyone frothing.

7. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I think the main "hype" is for the apps and new firmware. I really don't mind if apple only has a few apps available, but please give us something! I'm a little confused about what is taking so much time. Is it the development of these select apps already being worked on or is it the SDK itself?

8. wizard macrumors 68040

Could be but I think the main thing the hype will revolve around is the distribution method. My reasoning is very simple, the actual SDK shouldn't be taking a long time. At least not for the current firmware. I still have a strong suspicion that we will see a major firmware revision soon.

So in a nut shell the delay could in part be the updating of the firmware. But I am still leaning towards the iTunes distribution method as the big issue. That may be integrated into the SDK somewhat but I otherwise can't understand why the SDK itself would take so long.

Dave