Question about the soon to be 2014 Retina Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drew Davis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Drew Davis macrumors newbie

Do you guys think there is any chance they will bring back the 17 inch model? Also, what type of improvements do you think will be coming out? I'm not sure if I should buy a computer now or wait some time. :confused::confused::confused:

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont think there will be an update to the macbook pro line this year.
    The 17" is gone forever, sadly :(

3. Drew Davis thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it was almost 100% that the retina matchbook pro was getting an update? On the buyers guide it says caution.

4. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

There will very likely be an update this year... Just in Q4. Seriously doubt you'd get a 17" version back but why anyone wants a 17" 'portable' laptop is beyond me.

5. Drew Davis thread starter macrumors newbie

SCOLANATOR you have the exact computer I was considering buying. How do you like your computer? I currently have a 2010 mac mini, and its getting very slow, and yours much better! Also, when the new one comes out do you think it will have huge improvements, or will be a minor update?

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm just waiting on the 12" Macbook Pros to surface.

7. DubelBoom macrumors newbie

I believe it will be a pretty minor update, because new Broadwell CPUs will be out only on 2015 (except for Core M which is way to slow for the MBP. It will be in the MBA), and all the rest of the hardware really haven't changed to much from last October.
    I hope (for future buyers) there will be a slight price drop thanks to new Haswells (as the MBA had in April), but nothing more than that.

You can always expect it will be maybe a hair thinner and a bit lighter, longer battery life and a 3200x1800 display, but except for improved battery life, don't put any hopes here.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

That means nothing. That buyer's guide seems to be based solely on how much time has passed since the last update, compared to Apple's history of updates. As mentioned in MANY other threads, any update this year will be a relatively quiet spec bump just to satisfy those looking for more speed, the major update won't be until they can start shipping the next generation of CPU, which won't be until Q4 this year or Q1 next if we are to believe Intel's timeline.

9. Vanilla Face, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014

Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Where are you getting that information? Everything I've seen points to a Q4 update with broadwell and possibly a new form factor.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, I think they killed it off for a reason and those reasons have not changed. In fact with the addition of the retina display, you can have a high resolution, large screen real estate display (though I wouldn't do that on my rMBP - too small)

11. DubelBoom macrumors newbie

My father works at Intel, but still all I know is official stuff that can be found also on the web, but still ALL I SAY ARE WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN, i don't know anything more than others, I just try to connect everything reasonably.

Core M which is for 2in1s and super-slim Ultrabooks will be available for Christmas for some devices. Wider availability of Core M will be during 2015 (I saw this on the web).

And more advanced Broadwell CPUs will be available during 2015. (Also on the web)

12. imm22 macrumors regular

Ummmhhh. Intel CEO said that some weeks ago that the new broadwell will be available on holidays or maybe sooner.

13. DubelBoom macrumors newbie

True, but AFAIK he is talking about Core M and not higher end CPUs. I hope I'm wrong ;)

14. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Even if only the M Broadwell flavors are available for the holiday season and the rest on 2015, Apple has been known historically to receive Intel processor updates earlier than the rest of the other OEMs, I think the late 2014 MBPr update will get Broadwell processors.