Question about the sports band

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MEJHarrison, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

So I've had my watch for 2-3 months now and I've started to notice that my band is feeling bigger than it did before. I'd assume that the rubbery band simply stretched. But that doesn't feel very "Apple" to me. So, do this things stretch out or are my wrists simply getting smaller from all the working out?

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

Mine is 2+ years old and it lost a notch (used to be 4, now 3 holes from the tightest setting). So my interpretation of this is it stretched.

3. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Depending on how much weight you lost it is possible your wrist just got smaller. I lost about 40 lbs a couple years ago and had to make adjustments to my watch band along the way (non AW at the time).

4. MEJHarrison thread starter macrumors 65816

I've really not been loosing weight because I work my butt off then eat all the lost calories. :) But there is certainly a redistribution from fat to muscle going on. So it's possible that my wrists have gotten smaller. Maybe.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    Ok. That's interesting. Maybe that's all it is. It certainly doesn't matter one way or the other. I was just curious.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The flueroastamer will stretch somewhat over time. I have a few Apple bands that do the same. Especially if it’s a band that you wear regularly.

6. ApfelKuchen, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It could be a combination of several factors. When I first started using the Sport band about 2 years ago (originally got the Milanese loop, but chose to wear something less formal on a day to day basis) I didn't fasten it as tightly as I do now. I started out using the second notch, now I use the third. However, I don't recall having a choice in the beginning - iirc, the third notch was too tight at the start, second notch was a hair too loose. I'm thinking that it may have stretched about a half-notch. Yeah, maybe my wrist is a bit more lean, or I'm wearing it in a slightly different location. Hard to say.

Another possible factor is stretch/distortion of the notch/hole that you use regularly. Looking at the third notch, it does seem a slight bit out-of-round, but far less than I've seen on many a leather band/leather belt notch.

I think if we were to compare the performance of the fluoroelastomer band it probably stretches permanently less than any other band material, with perhaps the exception of metal. Unlike leather or cotton webbing, it won't stretch due to perspiration/exposure to water, and among synthetics (woven nylon or polypropylene), it retains far more elasticity/rebound after being stretched. Even metal bands may expand a bit due to metal-on-metal wear.