Question about the suspected Jan 15th update of the MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrmjenkins, Oct 30, 2007.

  1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

    chrmjenkins

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    CA
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    This is my first post here :D My Fiancee recently became a mac addict, and the allure has gotten to me so that I think it's time for me to get one soon. I know we are likely to see MB updates next week, followed by MBP updates sometime in January.

    I recently saw a youtube video of a guy with a SR 2.4Ghz running oblivion with a 30+ outside FPS. Since I have an unhealthy addiction to elder scrolls games, I'd love to be able to play Oblivion this well, but there's no way I'm going to pay the 2500 (2300 with my college student discount) price point for what is now, the machine that can guarantee I can do this well (I've noticed mixed opinions on the 8600M's with 128MB's ability to handle Oblivion outside as well as the 256MB version).

    Besides the penryn update that's almost assuredly going to hit, I was wondering how likely it is Apple will again update their video cards in the MBP to the imminent 8800M series (Early November release date). If that's the case, I have no doubt the lower end 15.4" inch MBP would easily take care of it.

    If that's not the case, I will likely not worry about trying to do any gaming on that level and just take get a macbook with the SR update. (Note: I can't buy until January anyway, so I guess I can just wait anyway :D).

    Nevermind: I answered my own question. It appears that a 25W TDP (power envelope) version of the 8800M will not be immediately available. Since it's not likely the macbook will go above this to the next step (35W TDP), it's likely they will stick with their current card. There doesn't appear to be any card fitting this description near on the horizon. Hopefully I managed to answer the question for someone else who was curious :D
     
  2. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

    chrmjenkins

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    CA
    #2
    Help me

    Hi everyone,

    I'd really like Apple to offer the 8600M's with higher memory (256Mb and 512MB), so please join in me in going to their "Contact Us" at the bottom right of the page and clicking on "Product Feedback" at the bottom right again. Select Macbook Pro and inform them you'd like to see the cards with more memory as standard or as an upgrade option in the upcoming refresh. Also, let them know you'd like to see an user-upgradeable hard drive option that doesn't void your warranty. Thanks!
     

Share This Page