Question about the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serb, Jun 16, 2012.

1. serb macrumors newbie

Does the adapter work using any wired connection, as in the connection doesn't have to "Thunderbolt" ready? What I mean is, can I plug into my Air/Pro and than my modem at home and at school and it'll just work? or does it have to be Thunderbolt compatible or something similar?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It should work with any device that's Ethernet compatible, doesn't have to be Thunderbolt ready or anything like that. When it's plugged into a Thunderbolt ready computer it should behave exactly the same as if it was an Ethernet port built into the computer.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

no as long as the cable you're using corresponds to the 802.3 (wired) IEEE standard then you're good.

Basically there's no such thing as a thunderbolt compatible ethernet connection so if it works on your other computers then it'll probably work on this one as well.

4. serb thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both, and just to make sure, the one apple sells definitely corresponds to the 802.3 IEEE standard, correct?

5. jimmyz80 macrumors member

To make life easier, just ask for a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable. Most people would look at you funny if you ask for an 802.3 cable. I work for Cisco and I'd look at you funny. :)