Question about the trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Taegre, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Taegre macrumors member

Hi all,

I got my MBP yesterday (2.66 Ghz stock) and I am totally in love with it.

On all the previous laptops I've used, I've disliked the trackpad and I used a mouse. On this one I really love it.

Except for one thing: I like using the mouse and then clicking on links with the scroll wheel to open them in new tabs. Is there any way I can do this in with the trackpad (other than 2nd click and choosing 'open in new tab')?

This is my only issue with this trackpad (I've gotten used to dragging things around with it now). I find it incredibly time consuming to the the 2nd click and select when compared to the efficiency of a mouse scroll wheel click.

Thanks for your time,
    Nihar

2. Tasc macrumors newbie

Hold down the command key when you cilck the link. That should force the link to open in a new tab (or window) depending on how you have Safari configured (check preferences).

3. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Yep command click is the fastest way. When you get used to it u can do it without having to look at the command key.

4. Taegre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much! This does work in Safari, but I use firefox most of the time, and it doesn't work there.

Does anybody know how to do this in firefox?

Thanks again,
    Nihar

EDIT: Nevermind, it does work in firefox too!

5. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Glad to see you figured it out. If it stops working in firefox for some strange reason (it wont) then press command+, to go into preferences and it is in one of the sections.

6. Slypr macrumors member

yeah same story for me, one thing I use is a grease monkey script for firefox that opens links in a new tab when I double click them, and it seems to be the best solution I've found so far