Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I've been using a black 4G for the last two years and feel its time for an upgrade. When the iPhone 4 launched how long after was the 4G Touch released? I'm selling locally so timing is important.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Maybe I wasn't clear. If the iPhone 5 comes out on Sept 21st when should we expect the Touch 5 assuming they bring one out?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Maybe I wasn't clear. If the iPhone 5 comes out on Sept 21st when should we expect the Touch 5 assuming they bring one out?

Nobody knows. Do you really think an updated iPod will bring much. I'm thinking Siri.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
It has been almost two years. I predict a whole new iPod line alongside iPhone. But no iPad mini.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I just hope that the 5th generation iPod Touch, if it comes out, has 3G connectivity, just for data use, not calling.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
That already exists. It's called an iphone.

The iPhone would only meet his criteria if he lived in Europe. Stateside the carriers make it impossible to only have a data plan for a smartphone (or only a voice plan, for that matter)

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
That already exists. It's called an iphone.

I already have a Galaxy Note which I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. I just don't want to bring a pocket wifi with me everywhere or have to find wifi hotspots. I want to access data anywhere on the iPod Touch.

----------

The iPhone would only meet his criteria if he lived in Europe. Stateside the carriers make it impossible to only have a data plan for a smartphone (or only a voice plan, for that matter)

I live in Australia where iPhone plans are ridiculously expensive ($70+ a month for 32GB iPhone 4S as 8GB is not enough for me) and they don't have data only plans for it. I know that I could get an iPhone 4 for cheaper but the iPhone 4 on plan in Australia only comes in 8GB.

Last edited:

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
I just hope that the 5th generation iPod Touch, if it comes out, has 3G connectivity, just for data use, not calling.

Don't think this is possible. Apple wouldn't cannibalize the iPod Touch so that it starts eating off iPhone's potential buyers.

It has been almost two years. I predict a whole new iPod line alongside iPhone. But no iPad mini.

A new line of iPod in addition to a new line of iPad sounds too much for Apple - they usually stick to the point. I would expect for the merging of these two instead.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
I've been using a black 4G for the last two years and feel its time for an upgrade. When the iPhone 4 launched how long after was the 4G Touch released? I'm selling locally so timing is important.

the iPhone 4 was announced at wwdc 2010 and came out in late july. the ipod touch 4 was announce at the 2010 ipod/music event held during sept and went on sale the same day I think

but that's all changed, these items are rumored to be scheduled for this sept event

iPhone 5
iPod Touch 5
iPad mini
ipad (with new 9 pin dock connector)

jbimler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
the iPhone 4 was announced at wwdc 2010 and came out in late july. the ipod touch 4 was announce at the 2010 ipod/music event held during sept and went on sale the same day I think

but that's all changed, these items are rumored to be scheduled for this sept event

iPhone 5
iPod Touch 5
iPad mini
Thanks for actually answering my question. I might just sell it the day it's announced.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011

don't think that will happen, there couldn't be a worse business decision than to update a current product mid-life without releasing it as an official upgrade.

If there is a 9pin, it'll go with the iPad mini (as well as the phone/pod)

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'm inclined to believe if there is an iPad mini announced this Sept then there probably will not be a new Touch. Since there was no update last year the fate of the Touch has been unclear and an iPad mini would take too many sales away from it to warrant putting much effort into upgrading it.. we shall see soon enough.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

We'll all know when the iPod Touch actually comes out. Apple never tells us when their products actually come out.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm thinking it has similar specs to the iPhone 5.

Surely won't. The fifth-generation iPt stayed with A4, while the 4S, released the same time, was already A5. The screen will also be of worse quality (iPhone 4 / 4S vs. iPt 4/5th gen), the RAM will probably be (again) less etc.

That is, it'll be a severely dumbed-down iPhone 5, as was also the iPt 4/5.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Cant see that happening; the carriers wouldn't be pleased. Also Apple is unlikely to build something that would hurt iPhone sales.

No guarantee there will even be an iPod touch 5 for a while anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.