Question about the warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CoolKen86, Apr 17, 2009.

1. CoolKen86 macrumors member

Hi, I just got my first Mac and its a Macbook Pro 2.66 and i have no regret getting it! I have a question about the first year of the warraty. Do i have to register to be able to use in the future in case i need it? or do i just need to keep the receipt? I don't have Applecare yet...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I believe it's registered when you buy it. Still a good idea to hold on to the receipt. You have until end of first year to buy Applecare.

3. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Warranty/Applecare is tied to your Serial Number

See here

But it's generally always a good idea to hold on to your receipt for whatever reason...

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you got it at an Apple Store, they probably emailed you the receipt. So it's easy to just archive away and forget (until you need it!) so there's no reason not to keep the receipt.

But you don't need the receipt for AppleCare most of the time - the only time you need it is if the database shows the wrong purchase date and you want to prove that you bought it on a later date.

Well, or a earlier date, but why would you want to do that? :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you end up getting AppleCare, you need to register for the extra 2 years of service before the end of the first year.