Question about the white drive icon that pops up on desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by furiousfap, May 27, 2010.

1. furiousfap macrumors newbie

When I open VLC player, a white drive pops up on my desktop, how do I prevent/hide that icon from appearing? On a side note, do I need dmg files for their corresponding applications to work or can I delete them?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is it disk image of VLC? Try copying the VLC from the disk image to your applications folder

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you running the application from within the disk image? You should drag the icon from the disk image to the Desktop (or the Applications folder) and then eject the disk image and trash the .dmg file.

4. furiousfap thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so what I did was I clicked the icon on my dock and the white disk showed up on my desktop. I opened that and moved the vlc icon to my applications folder. Removed the vlc icon from dock. Ejected the white disk. Moved the vlc icon from applications folder to the dock. Now when I open vlc the disk is no longer on the desktop.

What is the point of the white disk?

5. BurningJah macrumors regular

every .dmg you install! you can trash it! the point of the white disk I don't know:confused: never thought of that! I think it's just a file that you can delete :D

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The .dmg is acting like a CD/DVD/Flash Drive. When you open it up, you are opening a Disk Image with the files inside of it. You just drag the files out of the Disk Image to wherever you want, usually the Application folder. Once that is done, the application is installed, you can now delete the .dmg file.

7. furiousfap thread starter macrumors newbie

ok it all worked! thanks for the help. Just formated my macbook so Im trying to get everything right. Wasted a lot of space in the past by keeping all of my dmg files and the white disks :eek:

8. jwheeler macrumors regular

a dmg is "like" a zip file. (only i think its not normally compressed)
    and it mounts as a drive (like usb stick)

anyway so u'd open the dmg, take out the files you want, eject and delete. simple.

the white icon is because it imitates a disc. so a developer might have a cd, and a download version etc..