Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I have Menu Meters running, and more often than I'd like, the Finder will begin to generate random CPU usage. Many times I've had the Finder running at 60%~85% CPU and slowing the whole machine down :mad: What gives?? Will Tiger get rid of this "bug"?

This happens when I'm sometimes doing nothing, sometimes when I'm running only 3 or 4 apps together.

Also, everyone seems to know that Flash & OS X don't seem to get along very well (open up a Flash-intensive site and watch your CPU go through the roof.) Will this be fixed in Tiger, or is it Macromedia's problem?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
It was more Safari and Flash, I think...

You sure that the Finder wasn't doing some background maintenance? Maybe it was running a cron job or something, although those are set for 3AM.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I think the Flash/Shockwave implimentation just really bites. I've used Mozilla, Camino, OmniWeb, Safari, IE (blech) and FireFox and I get the same results with all of them :mad: :mad: :mad:

I post on easypooltutor.com sometimes, and the site uses Shockwave to make pool table diagrams. In Mozilla/FireFox the diagrams usually don't show up, and in the other browsers they show up but wrong. I hope it's not a Mac-only issue :(

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Flash and Java dont run well on AMD Processors in PC's either. That type of code is heavly optimized for SSE and SSE2 in Intel Processors.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Possibilities

There are so many possibilities for OP's "problem".

Spotlight doing the indexing routine? Safari doing the half hourly RSS check? Other routine activities that the OP switched on?

Hard to know.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Uhhhh. . .. . . I'm still running Panther, 10.3.8. Not going to be running Tiger until it comes out on the 29th.

What is an SSE proc? (Sorry, dumb question.)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
So I installed Tiger, and now the site I go to displays Shockwave content properly but eats up 100% CPU when doing so :mad: :mad: the entire machine freezes for up to 15 seconds at a time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.